digital glitches / pops since recent update

Linsey

digital glitches / pops since recent update

Post by Linsey »

Hi Jesse, Since the most recent recent update there are some nasty digital glitches / pops when load a loop and sometimes when changing instruments. I am using this professionally in a subtle performance situation on a regular basis so it's not good. Any ideas? I'm using it on an iPadPro OS 12.0.1

Jesse

Re: digital glitches / pops since recent update

Post by Jesse »

Hmm... what other apps are running at the same time? Are you using TJ with Audiobus or Inter-app audio at the times when these things occur?

Do they only seem to happen when loading loops or instruments?

Linsey

Post by Linsey »

Hi Jesse, No other apps were running and no inter app audio or audio bus . HOWEVER, as I suspected when I updated the iPad OS and the newest Thumbjam update the glitches disappeared.

BUT ....NOW an even bigger headache is that with the new Thumbjam update I can't play the instruments as far below the original pitch of the sample as I was before ....this is disastrous for our 'Dangerous Song' project as there are many sounds that are created by dropping 4 octaves below the original pitch to create awesome bass sounds (I am using endangered animal sounds as my source samples). I seem to be only able to go 2 octaves and a 5th below the original pitch. Is there a way to get around this easily? For your reference here are 3 albums all recorded using Thumbjam for live looping and as my sampler being driven by a Yamaha Wx5 wind controller: https://dangeroussong.bandcamp.com

would love a simple fix for this - Thanks - Linsey

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Hmm, I hadn't realized about this one.... it seems that Apple may have changed the limits of the sound resampling engine I've been using for 10 years. However, here I'm seeing the limit be +/- 3 octaves (and a few extra half-steps).

To fix it would require a fair bit of re-working and would likely affect the sound...

Linsey

Post by Linsey »

Yes, it is 3 octaves and a minor 3rd below the initial sample (not 2 1/2) as I first thought. Well that's a bummer as it affects quite a few pieces in our live repertoire and we have a number of gigs coming up so I'll need to rethink the sounds I'm using if there is no easy fix. Is it possible to lose an octave above the original pitch and gain an octave below as the lower sounds are more useful. Here is a link to a live performance (all done with Thumjam and no post editing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msLCqn_75Fs just for your interest as I have been using Thumbjam for a long time now and our project 'Dangerous Song' which has toured all over Australia and in Europe is totally based around endangered animal call samples that are stored and live looped with thumbjam (it is rock solid with the Wx5 wind controller and Presonus audiobox iTwo and is a great example of what can be achieved with Thumbjam. So thanks for an incredible app!!! If you can workout a fix for this problem please let me know as I have many many hours ahead of me to create alternative Thumbjam instruments to peplace what has been lost with the last update. I now use over 100 'Instruments' that use animal calls.

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

What you can do is resample the samples yourself to cover those extended ranges, and then add them to the ThumbJam instruments as additional samples. That way the engine can start from the one closest and still have the full range you need. To reduce the number of edges where it switches sample (if you rely on smooth pitch bends through the boundaries), only do the fewest number of additional samples.

If you don't have the software necessary to do this, let me know and I can probably process these samples for you and create new instruments.

Linsey

Post by Linsey »

Hi Jesse, I'm sorry, I just saw your reply now. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am gong to resample the samples and add them to the ThumbJam instruments. Thanks for the offer to help with the resampling, but I'll do it over the next few weeks. No gigs for quite a while so no pressure anymore. Thanks again - Linsey