Creating your own Instruments

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Starting with v1.1.0, you can build custom instruments from samples you upload or record, all inside the app. Once created the instruments can be archived and downloaded from the WiFi Transfer, then shared however you want.

Interested users can also construct new instruments on a computer and upload them into the app via WiFi. The following page is preliminary documentation about creating your own instruments on a computer.

I am hoping that the community becomes a big part of ThumbJam's strength, and I look forward to user contributions to the instrument pool.

chrisand

Wondered if in future, users

Post by chrisand »

Wondered if in future, users custom made instruments could show in a separate menu than the standard ones so they would be more easy to find. Also would it be easy to delete custom made instruments? I can see myself creating many and potentially eating up storage space.

Jesse

The actual sample sets that

Post by Jesse »

The actual sample sets that make up an instrument are listed in a list accessible from the Edit->Sample page, it currently shows all the sample sets, both factory and user created in one list, but the user created ones have a button to show more details and edit them. It is actually a good idea to have them separately listed, I will consider that.

From that list you can also delete sample sets (non-factory ones) by swiping across them in the list, and that is how you would free up space. The Choose Instrument item under the Sound menu is actually a list of presets, you could have many different ones that reference the same samplesets. In the upcoming version when you create a new sampleset a default preset is also created for it and shows up as a User preset.

Jesse

You can edit the samplesets

Post by Jesse »

You can edit the samplesets after the fact, you just need to know where to look, which is less than obvious I guess. Go to Edit->Sample page then press the "Sample Set" button near the top of the page, it will bring up a list of all the actual sample sets (instruments), find the one you want and press the > on the right side of the list item and there you have the editing page you were looking for.

As for categorization, yes I need to categorize the available downloadable ones correctly, once I do you might need to erase and re-download them. And I'll put in the controls to categorize created instruments too....

Howard

Glad for the question. Glad

Post by Howard »

Glad for the question. Glad for the answer.

TJ continues to amaze...

misteralan

Hey Jesse, Is the a way

Post by misteralan »

Hey Jesse,
Is the a way to undo a deleted user sample?
If not, I would suggest that thee is one.
Thanks,
Al

Jesse

No, all deletions are final,

Post by Jesse »

No, all deletions are final, unfortunately. I'll think about adding a "trash" to the feature list, but it probably won't happen soon.

misteralan

Thanks Jesse. I will

Post by misteralan »

Thanks Jesse.
I will make a note of this so I can try to minimize accidentally deleting stuff.
Feiw,
I prefer the workflow of undo vs it asking me do you really,really,really,really really want to temporarily think about deleting this temporarily buffered file?:-0
Al

Jesse

Agreed, undo is a superior

Post by Jesse »

Agreed, undo is a superior workflow. Unfortunately it often requires a fair amount of redesign to switch over to it, if not done from the beginning, alas.

misteralan

Yeah, I do however like

Post by misteralan »

Yeah,
I do however like the paradigm that is more lim an analog tape recorder though.... Punching in meant you were also erasing what was there... Kinda required us to really live in the moment because it was so easy to get rid of something forever.
Live by the sword,die by the sword!
Jesse, the fact that you are developing such excellent creative tools for music artists is cause enough to make me a believer...and the stuff does not break the bank...and nowadays my pockets do not run so deep but I am still motivated to continue the quest and your work makes this possible for so many of us!
Thanks,
Al