Saving a Performance With a Loop

bharris

Saving a Performance With a Loop

Post by bharris »

Hi Everyone,

I am a brand new ThumbJam user, and I am trying to get the hang of something - maybe I'm just not understanding the help file. I have figured out how to copy a loop from another app. I would like to record my performance on ThumbJam and save/paste the entire thing (performance + loop) into a third app (such as FourTrack or Nanostudio). Can somebody please help me do this? I am hoping for step-by-step instructions that even a 5 year old can follow. For example:

1) Load loop.
2) Press "record session button"
3) Press play to begin playing loop
4) Perform
5) Press XXXX to stop recording

etc.

I really appreciate your help!

Jesse

Let's be more precise: 1)

Post by Jesse »

Let's be more precise:

1) Load loop, (Loop->Load, pick the Loops tab, select the loop). It starts playing immediately
2) From the Loop menu, flip the Session Record switch to On at an appropriate time.
3) Perform
4) Again, from the Loop menu, flip Session Record switch to Off
5) Prefs->Copy/Paste, hit the Copy button, select the Sessions tab, select the most recently dated file (at the end of the list), and press Copy Selected.

Then go to your other app and paste it.

Note that in the current version the session record simply begins and ends when you flip the switch, it isn't quantized to loop boundaries at all, which might be an issue for you. The next version will be able to automatically start/stop session record on loop boundaries.

bharris

Thank you! I will have to

Post by bharris »

Thank you! I will have to try this out tonight when I get home :).

One clarification - when you say that the session is not quantized to the loop, do you mean that if I only start the session recording after the loop starts, and end it before the loop ends, when I go to paste the session in the other app it will not paste the entire loop but only that portion that was playing during the session?

Jesse

What I meant was that the

Post by Jesse »

What I meant was that the total duration of the recorded session audio file is not related to the loops' length at all right now. It simply starts when you flip the switch on, and stops when you flip it off. Just a warning if you were planning on using the resulting session audio file as a loop in another app, you would need to edit its start and length first. So you probably need to paste it into an app that lets you trim both ends, in that case.

bharris

Now I am a little confused.

Post by bharris »

Now I am a little confused. In number 5) above, you mentioned that I should "Prefs->Copy/Paste, hit the Copy button, select the Sessions tab, select the most recently dated file (at the end of the list), and press Copy Selected." Will this copy my recording session AND the pre-existing loop, or just the ThumbJam recording I made?

EDIT - I just tried it, and now understand. If I want to have the full loop with my performance, I need to start recording before the start of the loop, end recording after the end of the loop, and find an app to trim the silence from the front and back.