Thumbjam + Vir2 Electr6ity (coming soon!!!)

ElectricAlienCat

Thumbjam + Vir2 Electr6ity (coming soon!!!)

Post by ElectricAlienCat »

Hey everybody,

I just ordered (delivery 24/6!) Vir2's Electr6ity vst software (http://www.vir2.com/instruments/electri6ity) which simulates 8 real guitars, and as I've had some success with my own guitar samples in TJ (see my youtube clips) in combo with Podfarm VST (guitar fx) I'm keen to hear what it will sound like when using TJ with Electricity.

The plan is to use the TJ on ipad as the main playing device to send the midi notes (dsmidiwifi) to my DAW where the guitar notes will be sounded in Electricity, an ipod will be used with TJ to send midi control/switch notes (activating modes such as: legato, hammer on/pull off, slides, mutes etc). I also want to use a 2nd ipod to send midi notes from TJ to a free vst program (tonespace) which will play chords (any kind) from single notes. If I can pull this off I'll be able to alternate between chords and single notes with relative ease whilst changing playing styles on the fly, wish me luck!

mat

Sounds like a great project,

Post by mat »

Sounds like a great project, thanks for sharing the setup (I didn't know about Tonespace, interesting). Keep us posted please!

ElectricAlienCat

Might have some test video

Might have some test video ready on the weekend if I get the software delivered tomorrow, apparently the program installation takes 6 hours!

You can download and see features of tonespace v2 here: http://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/

mat

Thanks for the link, in facts

Post by mat »

Thanks for the link, in facts I searched for and immediately downloaded ot after answering your post yesterday!

ndelc

That sounds awesome. Can't

Post by ndelc »

That sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear how it works out.

ElectricAlienCat

I've done some messing around

I've done some messing around with it, could be revolutionary, though I have a few issues...

The software recommends 6gb of ram which I have but once you load other vst's (like BFD2) then you're in trouble (freezing up). I don't have enough ram to load 2 guitars, I'm considering an upgrade to 24gb (max my mobo will support). Had major issues with the setup of control switches, in thumbjam I setup a grid with labels for the switches (hammer on, legato, harmonics) although the pitch notes didn't match up with the software, it was saying C0 is x but in Thumbjam it was actually C1, I managed to fix that by hitting the learn key in software then touch the corresponding pad in thumbjam. Midi with DSMI is annoyingly inconsistent, one moment its fast the other its barely keeping up and every so often no sound at all for a few seconds, and this is on an ad hoc connection not connected to the internet, the speed is running at 54mbps and I'm 2 feet from the router what the heck!

Other than all that it's sounding pretty spiffy!

raketemensch

Had major issues with the

Post by raketemensch »

Had major issues with the setup of control switches, in thumbjam I setup a grid with labels for the switches (hammer on, legato, harmonics)

Say what now? Set up a grid?

ElectricAlienCat

In thumbjam when you create

In thumbjam when you create samples, it's either 'pitched' (piano/synth/guitar instrument) or 'one shot' (drums/percussion), the one shot samples look like a grid in thumbjam and can be labelled unlike pitched samples. I'm using a grid like setup to activate switches (in the guitar software) which change the type of playing. Hope that makes more sense.

I think the problem with the inconsistency of midi I've been struggling with is due to using the LoopBe1 midi driver it limits data rate to 31.25 kbps, this limit is enforced to prevent midi feedback in the case where you connect the same input and output on the same application causing an infinite loop. If you're playing a lot of notes or chords and generating a lot of data the software thinks you've started this infinite loop and mutes the audio. I'm now using LoopBe30 64bit driver which allows you to turn off data rate limit so I'm having more success.

ElectricAlienCat

Ordered 12gb more ram. Still

Ordered 12gb more ram.

Still a few stumbling blocks till I can do a demo, the various audio software I'm using are not playing nice at all.

ElectricAlienCat

Just a brief