User Scale Notes

brunogarza1021

User Scale Notes

Post by brunogarza1021 »

I uploaded to ThumbJam the following SXML file

http://www.digimixstudios.net/0DD168E2F ... A9B06C.png

So what notes are suppose to be displayed in ThumbJam.
The correct number of notes was calculated but the notes are not what I was expecting.

brunogarza1021

Found out what the issue

Post by brunogarza1021 »

Found out what the issue is.
The NOTE names are incorrect in ThumbJam, but the NOTE's themselves are correct in the SXML file I uploaded to ThumbJam.

Incorrect NOTE names are just misleading but not a show stopper.

Jesse

Just to make sure, a scale

Post by Jesse »

Just to make sure, a scale specified for TJ is just a set of intervals, based on an arbitrary root note. The actual notes will change based on what key you've set in TJ, but their intervals will be fixed. If you could say what you were expecting to get and what you got, that would also help!

caseyjamesbasichis

I have noticed that the notes

Post by caseyjamesbasichis »

I have noticed that the notes displayed for my SXML scales are often wrong. The sound and output midi are fine, but the displayed notes are a bit unpredictable, where two notes will have the same name and and be a halfstep apart.

Jesse

Please post such example SXML

Post by Jesse »

Please post such example SXML files!

brunogarza1021

Here's my scale

Post by brunogarza1021 »

Here's my scale

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Scales>
<Scale name="Auxiliary Diminished" tags="User" tuning="just" pitchset="2925" />
</Scales>

Thumbjam displays the following (Key of C)

C, D, D#, E, F, G#, G#, A#

I thought it would display
C, D, D#, F, F#, G#, A, B

Source of the above Scale
http://www.dolmetsch.com/pianochords.htm

Again, I'm using ThumbJam as a WiFi MIDI Controller into Logic 9, so I see the MIDI Notes coming in correctly into Logic 9, but ThumbJam displays it incorrectly.

I've noticed as well that the 4000+ scales I added don't stay in ThumbJam, after awhile they're gone and I have to upload them again.
Again this isn't a showstopper, I can just upload it again but is there a limit on how many scales you can upload into ThumbJam?

Just as a quick test, I didn't upload the 4000+ scales, just the one example and I still see that ThumbJam displays it incorrectly but MIDI outputs it correctly.

Jesse

Ah yes, I had forgotten about

Post by Jesse »

Ah yes, I had forgotten about this bug, it was rounding (or lack thereof) problem when the temperament is just. I've already fixed it in my code.

brunogarza1021

Thanks for your response too.

Post by brunogarza1021 »

Thanks for your response too. This let's me know that I was creating your SXML file correctly.

One last thing...
http://www.thumbjam.com/node/339
In this thread I noticed you mentioned to have ThumbJam stay loaded to keep your custom scales loaded, is this always going to be the case?

I just want to know to make sure to have my SXML available on any of my computers ready to upload to ThumbJam again.

Now that I think about this, this actually might be a good thing because I've noticed in my SXML, I've seen duplicates.
So now I fix that and upload again to ThumbJam.