How can I use TJ to sing, in real time in a live situation into the mic and trigger the sampled instruments using my voice

MickF

How can I use TJ to sing, in real time in a live situation into the mic and trigger the sampled instruments using my voice

Post by MickF »

How can I use TJ to sing, in real time in a live situation into the mic and trigger the sampled instruments using my voice - better still can I plug in an iRig mic to do this?

Jesse

The answer is yes you can,

Post by Jesse »

The answer is yes you can, but in a live situation it may trigger on sounds from the environment when you aren't singing, unless you are quick with the toggle button.

To turn on input pitch tracking, find the button with the microphone and notes, which is at the bottom of the sidebar on iPad, or at the bottom of the auxiliary sidebar (toggled by hitting the sidebar button with the 3 small icons on it) on iPhone/iPod.

The controls you see pop up are Thr - threshold for pitch detection; Vel - velocity based on level of audio input, turn it all the up for no velocity sensitivity; Gli - glide amount between notes.
The button with the stairstep icons let you toggle between played notes locked to scale, chromatic notes, or free which will match your pitch exactly. The octave controls there let you set an octave offset to play the instrument with.

MickF

This is great - thank you

Post by MickF »

This is great - thank you Jesse. I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I've got Voice Band but it really is more like a gimmicky toy. Ideally I would like to get hold of pedal that can do this live but for the moment I think TJ will do just fine. Thanks again

MickF

Hi Jessie, I've been playing

Post by MickF »

Hi Jessie, I've been playing around with the pitch tracking but still can't find the best settings for singing into the mic and for the app to work as closely to me singing as possible. I would really appreciate it if you could suggest some settings I could try out that that might yeld better results.

Jesse

You will want to put the snap

Post by Jesse »

You will want to put the snap toggle (the stairstep button in the input controls popup area) to the "ramp" setting which will track your pitch exactly without snapping to notes. Also you may want to turn the Glide setting there down to zero to minimize the lag.

MickF

Thank you once again Jesse -

Post by MickF »

Thank you once again Jesse - I will reset the app to those setting you suggested