Sustained Piano

phillwilson

Sustained Piano

Post by phillwilson »

I just wanted to say hello and a big thank you for creating such a complete instrument.

I think that in time,thumbjam will be remembered as the first of a new breed of instruments that truly unlock the potential of coupling great samples with an intuative interface.

I would just like to ask, for your consideration, that if you are making a new sample set, there would be room for a classical grand piano sampled with the sustain pedal down.

I find the current included piano to lack the sustain that is needed for the more ambient style that I would like to play ( think ryuichi sakamoto or Olafur Arnalds) it would be awesome to be able to improvise on thumbjam with a sustained piano like that.

thanks so much for everything you have accomplished to far.

Phill MyOneManBand

Jesse

I assume you want it sampled

Post by Jesse »

I assume you want it sampled with pedal down to get all the sympathetic vibrations... I'll put that on the list!

phillwilson

you are reading my mind :)

Post by phillwilson »

you are reading my mind :) that and because I love long sustained passagesof notes....its what makes the Harp samples in TJ sound ultra realistic in comparason to any other I have ever played....they are quite literally beautiful. Well done !!

phillwilson

Hi again Jesse, I have had a

Post by phillwilson »

Hi again Jesse,

I have had a bit more time with ThumbJam since my first post, and I now understand if you were a little perplexed at the request...

I had not yet discovered the "sustain key" option....however, its actually pretty difficult to use, because I am playing in landscape which puts it under my little pinky but meaning i need to playwith my hand near the top (or left bottom as you would see it in portrait).

so, I am guessing my new question is, is there a way to lock the piano to play pedal down? as pressing sustain lock doesnt affect new notes after it is locked?

also, i know you are working on menus that rotate to landscape, i wonder if this will extend to the sustain button?

thanks

Jesse

Sustain button interface

Post by Jesse »

Sustain button interface definitely needs a redesign. What would you like, especially in landscape? Only iPad will support landscape, btw.

But to answer your original question all you need to do is flip the Release Stops Note to OFF in Edit->Sample and then save that as a preset. That's how the harp (and percussion) presets are set up.
It won't be the same as a piano sampled with the pedal down, but it will get you much closer!

phillwilson

thanks Jesse, that is

Post by phillwilson »

thanks Jesse, that is certainly getting me 80% of the way there :) (althought the sustained piano for sympathetic vibrations will just sound amazing for slow pieces if you ever have the time)

as for the redesign, for landscape, the most logical choice for me would be like a familiar space bar approach, that way you could have more options of which hand/finger to use to sustain..i could maybe even practice to mute with my palm which would keep the full ten fingers for playing.

It is very interesting how this app has developed, full credit to you, because I totally GET what you where imagining when you called it thumbjam and set it up in portrait mode...its lovely for beginning to experiance your concept. But its also very heartening to see you raising to answer the challenge of your user base who have kind of run with the concept in different directions (literally) and are wanting to play it more like a conventional (ish) instrument.

fab work !

Phill

PB

Try using Samvada in the

Post by PB »

Try using Samvada in the Audiobus effects slot. If you fiddle with the settings, the results are pretty good.

http://soundcloud.com/paul-beecham/resonant-piano

The piano source is the unaltered Thumbjam Grand Piano, the only effect is Samvada.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/samvada ... 19231?mt=8

Cheers,
Paul.