Hardware for creating samples

ndelc

Hardware for creating samples

Post by ndelc »

I'd like to create samples from my aging Yamaha W7 before it kicks the bucket. What is the best hardware to facilitate a line-in from the keyboard to the iPad? I've read other people mention the Camera Connection Kit and iMic. Does anyone know of anything else/better?

mat

Ampkit link and the like can

Post by mat »

Ampkit link and the like can be used maybe...

dswo

Ampkit Link and iRig will

Post by dswo »

Ampkit Link and iRig will both work, but there are three limitations: (1) they're mono; (2) the mic input rolls off low frequencies (in order to focus on the frequency spectrum of the human voice); (3) there's some noise. A better solution, if you have an iPad, is to get the Camera Connection Kit and hook it up to a USB device like the Behringer UFO20. Total cost: about US$60 (compared with $30-35 for the Ampkit Link or iRig). The Behringer unit will take stereo input through a pair of RCA connectors, and provides stereo output (also through RCA). Both will be cleaner than if you go through the mic/headphone jack, and you'll get a stronger signal on the low frequencies.

I hope that iOS 5 opens up the iPhone and iPod Touch to use the Camera Connection Kit.

guitarchitect

I purchased the Apogee Jam

Post by guitarchitect »

I purchased the Apogee Jam interface ($99) and been very pleased with it for recording directly into my iPad. It uses the dock input for better sound quality than iRig or AmpKit. Also, look for the new Alesis IO Dock. It looks amazing - turns your iPad into a console with multiple input/outputs - low Z and 1/4" jacks, phantom power, etc. It's pricey ($199) but should be great for recording direct to DAW apps and GarageBand for iPad.

raketemensch

I'll second the IO Dock, if

Post by raketemensch »

I'll second the IO Dock, if it's in the budget.

If it was also a USB audio interface for a laptop, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.