Can't assign correct notes to imported samples

aroth711

Can't assign correct notes to imported samples

Post by aroth711 »

I'm trying to create an instrument, but the notes of the imported Samples always show as C4; I can correct this manually in the Sample-Editor, but those changes are not saved, when I return to the Editor, they are shown As C4 again. The Samples are 44,1 KHz, 16 Bit mono wav. Any hint on this?

Jesse

Hmm, having trouble

Post by Jesse »

Hmm, having trouble reproducing that right now. One thing to try is naming the samples ending with the _notename (like sample_a4) before you upload them into TJ.

I will be reworking that area of the program because there are definitely some bugs there.

aroth711

Thanks for your quick

Post by aroth711 »

Thanks for your quick Response! I tried naming the Samples the Way you suggest, but this doesn't Change Anything. The Problem only occurs with imported Samples, when I Sample from tj using the iPhone mic everything is ok. I checked the properties of the Import-Samples (I bought those) but couldn't find Anything suspicious which could Lead to the effect.

Jesse

Can you send me one of those

Post by Jesse »

Can you send me one of those sample files off-forum ( support@thumbjam.com ) so i can take a look at it? I have an idea what it might be. What was the format of the file?

aroth711

Any idea yet?

Post by aroth711 »

Any idea yet?

Jesse

I'm sorry, did you ever send

Post by Jesse »

I'm sorry, did you ever send me an example file? I think I have an idea what might be happening but need to see an actual file exhibiting the behavior to know for sure....

Jesse

Thanks for sending it again,

Post by Jesse »

Thanks for sending it again, of course I found the first one after you sent it.

The issue is what I expected, your WAV files contain a special metadata chunk (SMPL) that is supposed to describe the base midi note and other information, which overrides the filename-based approach when you import into TJ. The values in your file do not match the sample, for some reason, it says midi note number 60 (C4)... I'm assuming incorrectly for all of them. You need to check your tool (soundforge?) and either disable the writing of those chunks or use another utility that doesn't support them in order to rid yourself of them. Alternatively, you could figure out how to get soundforge to write the *correct* note values in there, and then you could import without even a filename convention.

aroth711

Yes, I sent a zipped example

Post by aroth711 »

Yes, I sent a zipped example file 5 days ago (17th). I just resent it!

aroth711

Thanks, I'll try this.

Post by aroth711 »

Thanks, I'll try this. Another little Problem (or bug?) I sampled one of my flutes and made an instrument out of it, called it "Flöte", which is German for flute. Now it is shown as instrument on the wifi-Transfer page with strange chararcters where the "ö" was and, the real problem, I can't delete it anymore... sorry to bother you with this... anyway, your app gives me immense joy!

Jesse

Yeah, the filename handling

Post by Jesse »

Yeah, the filename handling in the web interface must not be compatible with extended character sets. I'll but that on the bug-list. Can you delete the sampleset in the app? It isn't totally obvious, but if you go to the Edit->Sample, press the SampleSet button near the top, which brings up a list of all the instruments... if you swipe across on the row you want to delete, the delete button will come up and you can delete it there.