Are long samples a problem?

Bristles

Are long samples a problem?

Post by Bristles »

I downloaded some samples: all 44.1 kHz, 16bit, and mono. I had to download them in four separate groups so that they would all finally download without making TJ crash. About 90 samples altogether, from A0 to C8. TJ crashed many times while trying to create the instrument from these samples as well. Some of the samples are well over 30 seconds long. Not sure if it's the length of some of the samples or the amount of samples within the one instrument or that I need to just reboot the iPad more often. I can open the instrument more times than not but it's too unstable.

I know it's something i've done wrong, just not sure what. Help...

Thanks

Jesse

Wow, those are some pretty

Post by Jesse »

Wow, those are some pretty long samples. And quite a lot for a single instrument. Currently, ThumbJam actually loads all the samples into memory when you load an instrument, and you are definitely pushing the limits of the available RAM on the iPad. You just can't have that many samples that are that long loaded at once in a single instrument right now. Out of curiosity, what are the samples of? Usually for a pitched instrument you only really need to have samples for every 3rd or 4th interval and it still sounds fine. That along with trimming them to shorter lengths should allow you to get a reasonable instrument made within the confines of RAM.

In the future TJ could stream instrument samples from disk (as it does with loops), but not anytime soon.

Bristles

Yeah man, I loaded them on

Post by Bristles »

Yeah man, I loaded them on the laptop to double check the formatting and everything was in order but that's also when I saw the length of each. They're upright piano samples but each key strikes a bit differently which was why I wanted to use as many as possible. If you remember me asking about release notes on instruments, those were also from this set.

So I'll start by deleting the longest samples and current inst. from TJ and create a new one, rinse and repeat as needed. Thanks for the help, I've been pulling as many samples from my hard drives as possible and once some of these other great apps I own incorporate copy/paste I'm hoping to be able to limit the laptop to mixing and some minor sequencing stuff(still love keys and strings).