velocity layered samples

juicymichole

velocity layered samples

Post by juicymichole »

excellent app, i'm enjoying creating samples and my own instruments which is something i've never done despite creating computer based music for about 15 years. your app makes it fun and accessible.

you mentioned in your sampleset documentation that you have an unused parameters for velocity layered samples.

that would be a feature that would help me take one step further away from the computer and have truly outstanding drum samples on the go. currently i like to use BFD on the computer, i'd love to convert some of those kits over for my own use and make some new ones from scratch. when do you think that you'll will be able to implement that feature?

also, maybe i totally missed it, but is there a way to make instruments using the "drum" layout?

Jesse

Velocity layering is still

Post by Jesse »

Velocity layering is still unimplemented, but it will definitely make it in there sometime.

To do drum layouts, choose the non-pitched type in the sampleset editor. In the upcoming 1.1 version it is called "one-shot". The new version makes it *much* easier to make your own instruments in the app... I think you'll really like it.

jorgren

I can't see how velocity

Post by jorgren »

I can't see how velocity layers would be implemented. As far as I know, the screen does not sense velocity or pressure. Unless you used the x-axis for velocity...I have seen apps that use position along each keyboard key as velocity.

Jesse

Yes, it would be used when

Post by Jesse »

Yes, it would be used when the volume/velocity is set on x-axis. You can already do this, just look in the Edit->Controls.... and many of the instruments default with this enabled. With velocity layered samplesets it would just pick the right one based on the initial touch position.

I'm also not ruling out alternate means of velocity control including the "blowing in the mic" style... even if I personally get out of breath when doing it :)

inrock

Recently, I purchased drum

Post by inrock »

Recently, I purchased drum app named "iGOG"
It seems support "velocity - sensitive".
I knew iPhone screen does not sense velocity or pressure.
How could it be possible?

uhh

iGog says they determine

Post by uhh »

iGog says they determine velocity (pressure) by sampling the iPhone mic (without any blowing!), and it actually works quite well.

The first times I played with iGog, I could only get the hihats and snares to play soft (loud) to weak (strong) button hits - the bass drum would always play the same velocity. Then I gently pressed the base of the iPhone (where the mic is) against some other object (a sofa, a book, ...), and this fixed the velocity sensitivity issue with the bass drum for me. Proves that they are actually using the iPhone mic to detect pressure, but that the technology is delicate. They do mention licensing opportunities of their method:
http://www.wavemachinelabs.com/igog/ind ... /velaucity

larkob

Although TJ can be played

Post by larkob »

Although TJ can be played quite well with the iPad touch screen, I would much prefer my own master keyboard, especially if velocity layered samples could be used. Will this be available with the upcoming Core MIDI support?

Jesse

Yes, playing TJ with an

Post by Jesse »

Yes, playing TJ with an external midi controller is already implemented, awaiting the next feature release. I still haven't implemented velocity layering, but that will come later.