Sitar

paco

Sitar

Post by paco »

Here you go, a sitar!

Just rename the "picture" below to Sitar.zip

I don't know much about Indian music, so I set the scale to match the Tampura that you can download in-app (more or less). Let me know if the scale should be different.

Sounds extracted from a free Hammersound soundfont.

More coming...

@Jesse: I'm trying to get some looping samples to work, but the "percentage" setting for the start of the looping section makes it kind of impossible without an audible pop. Please think about a "sample number" option for this, which would be a lot more precise and is what the .flot file actually uses.

Also, how do I upload a zip to the forum? It doesn't allow zip files, only graphics and pdfImage

Jesse

Nice! I'm tweaking it out

Post by Jesse »

Nice! I'm tweaking it out and will probably post the final version on the server. Before I do could you give me a direct reference to the soundfont these samples are from?

I've fixed the configuration of the site to allow zip files now.

I agree that the % sliders are really not ideal for high resolution setting of samples parameters. Ideally (and eventually) the interface would be a waveform display that is zoomable to let you set all these parameters. Until then, I'm not sure putting a sample entry field there would be very useful because it would be extremely painful to input and experiment with different values that way. I will probably increase the resolution of the slider even more as a workaround until then.

paco

Thanks! This is the source

Post by paco »

Thanks!

This is the source for the soundfont:

http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/soun ... tLength=15

I extracted the wav data using Awave Studio 10 (Windows), then just zipped them and uploaded to thumbjam. Now I realize I should have made sure they were in 44100 data rate, because I had trouble assigning the right pitch for each sample. I can convert them to the correct rate if you want.

I do the sound editing in Steinberg Wavelab 5 (again, Windows), which has a very nice looping function and gives me the exact sample numbers for the start and end of the loop. I would love to be able to enter those in thumbjam if the dialog allowed it (that's the way it is done in the .float file, as far as I can tell). I don't think a finer resolution for the percentage slider will work, if it falls short of the exact sample number, because being off by just one gives rise to an audible pop.

Jesse

Sure, but my point is, if you

Post by Jesse »

Sure, but my point is, if you are using a sound editor on your PC to get the exact sample values, then you should just enter them in the .flot file yourself! You can push the audio into TJ like you did, then archive and download the resulting instrument back to your computer for further precision editing of the .flot file.

Don't worry about this one, I'll handle all conversions and looping, but for next time......

Jesse

Would you like to be credited

Post by Jesse »

Would you like to be credited as the maker of this instrument? If so, what name should I use? Hammersound will also be credited as the source.

paco

Thanks! It's always nice to

Post by paco »

Thanks!

It's always nice to get credit. You can call it "Sitar"

I'm working on a clarinet, oboe, vibraphone, and a set of voice drums where I will try to write the .float files as you say.

Jesse

Sorry, I meant what name

Post by Jesse »

Sorry, I meant what name should I use to credit you? I was going to call it Sitar :)

paco

I've re-sampled the

Post by paco »

I've re-sampled the instrument to 44.1 kHz, and now it sounds slightly different, but it should install much more easily. If Jesse doesn't put it up you can always upload it manually. Tested.Image