Instrument request

soundog

Instrument request

Post by soundog »

First, I am just getting into shaping the existing instruments using the Edit Sample window ... this provides a lot of flexibility in customizing the sound and response of the frozen samples. For example, adjusting the Time Interval on Retrigger is very useful, and applying Glide to instruments that normal glide is wild.

Some requested instruments that come to mind are a bit selfish, because they are applicable to the sort of music I perform live: alt folk/pop singer/songwriter original tunes, where ThumbJam would be used to back acoustic guitar and vocal. I would appreciate:

- accordian/concertina (along the lines of something Counting Crows or The Band might use in a track, not so much polka)
- plucked stand-up acoustic bass
- tuned percussion (such as tongue drum, marimba, glockenspiel/bells, african drums, etc)
- massed/full orchestral strings and choirs (as opposed to more solo sounding, for pads and sweetening)
- mellotron (also for pads)

Jesse

Yeah, switching piano to

Post by Jesse »

Yeah, switching piano to glide is pretty trippy. Change the scale to Continuous and it gets even better.

You're in luck, I just happen to have a concertina, which is on the backlog of sampling chores. I also have an ancient accordian that's not really in tune, but it might be good for some niche playing.

Is the existing plucked stand-up acoustic bass instrument not to your liking?

Marimba, vibes, etc is definitely on my wants list too.

I would love some full orch and real choir samples, but obtaining them is quite a challenge. I prefer to create original samples for the app and not have to worry about complicated (read expensive) licensing issues.

One solution that I might mention (but not condone :) for individuals who happen to have sample libraries on their computer, is to grab some samples from there and then produce a sample set (with forthcoming instructions by hand on your computer, or in a future update within TJ itself) from those. Note this would be for *personal use* only and shouldn't be distributed to anyone.

soundog

Looking forward to hearing

Post by soundog »

Looking forward to hearing the concertina, which should suffice.

After spending time with the plucked bass, I am deciding it works nicely after playing around with some custom settings. Good one!!

Thats admirable you are creating your own sample sets, I understand the licensing issues. They are all of excellent quality, and the variety is very good. I would love to learn how to create my own sets for ThumbJam, so if you get around to posting how to do that, that would be awesome (or shoot me a line at hooya5jb@yahoo.com). I own a healthy set of orchestral samples, Michael Pinder Mellotron samples, etc, and am fairly fluent and porting instruments from one format to another. Of course, these would be for my use and ears only, for use in the confines of my padded cell only.

ListTowardsLight

How about taiko drums? Also,

Post by ListTowardsLight »

How about taiko drums?

Also, how about documenting the SampleSet format for us, or have an import function for a ZIP of wave files? I'd be glad to, for example, record a sampleset of my twelve-string guitar. I bet you this app will gather an enthusiastic community willing to help round out the instruments.

Jesse

Your wish is our command. See

Post by Jesse »

Your wish is our command. See the link below for preliminary documentation on the SampleSet format. Incidentally, the next release will actually let you build a custom instrument from samples you upload, inside the app.

http://www.thumbjam.com/sampleset_format

I am hoping that the community becomes a big part of ThumbJam's strength, and I look forward to user contributions to the instrument pool.

Jesse

You are in luck, steel drums,

Post by Jesse »

You are in luck, steel drums, bassoon, and oboe are already lined up for sampling, as well as marimba and vibes.

WiFiJammer

How about a harmonica for

Post by WiFiJammer »

How about a harmonica for those that would like to channel their inner John Popper?

Jesse

Coming right up, blues

Post by Jesse »

Coming right up, blues harmonica will probably be next week's download.... it is already in the can.

thumbtrond

Hi Jesse! Really looking

Post by thumbtrond »

Hi Jesse!

Really looking forward to the blues harmonica!

BTW - a friend of mine was so impressed by your app when I showed it to him that he now considers buying an iPhone just to get hold of Thumbjam. He's absolutely right to do so.

-trond

Jesse

Cool, tell him to get an iPod

Post by Jesse »

Cool, tell him to get an iPod touch... no service plan and it runs faster too.

Had to go back and re-sample some of the harmonica, which is why it hasn't shown up yet... sorry about that!