Deleting sample sets/naming instruments

yowza

Deleting sample sets/naming instruments

Post by yowza »

How do you easily delete sample sets and name instruments?

Somehow every time I upload new instruments Ito TJ I end up with a lot of extra sample sets in the list with numbers (default names?), how can I delete the sets I don't need? When I click edit it only lets me delete individual samples not the whole set?
Along with this I can't figure out where to change the name of the instrument. I end up with instruments that have the correct name but no sound files or instruments that have the default name (with numbers) but do have the audio files. Obviously I'm getting confused by the whole process somehow and that's how I end up with extra sample sets so is there a clearly laid out method for doing all of this? I've read the TJ manual and the sticky in the forum but I'm missing something.

Thanks for your help!

yowza

Ok I figured out how to

Post by yowza »

Ok I figured out how to delete a whole sample set by swiping sideways, duh I reread the sticky post and saw the sticky note now if I can figure out how to rename the instrument I'll be good.

yowza

I figured out how to rename

Post by yowza »

I figured out how to rename the preset but I may have run into a bug because when I click to rename, type in the new name and click Save, then TJ immediately quits and the name is not saved.
I'm not convinced this isn't user error.

yowza

It appears you have to save

Post by yowza »

It appears you have to save the preset first then rename it, if you try to rename it before you save it TJ quits.

Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions.

It might not be a bad idea to have this whole process spelled out in an idiot proof way to prevent folks like me from making a fool of themselves.

Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes

Jesse

When you say "Preset" what

Post by Jesse »

When you say "Preset" what exactly do you mean? What you save when you do Edit->Save Preset? In that case there is no way to rename anything until the preset is already saved....
Or do you mean the Sample Set? If you can describe exactly the steps you followed by listing out the buttons and menu items you pressed to cause the crash, that would be great!

yowza

Unfortunately I can't

Post by yowza »

Unfortunately I can't reproduce now what happened yesterday but TJ did crash several times in a short span and I lost a few instruments I had created (I called them presets). I know it doesn't help you track down the issue but it happened after I successfully uploaded some samples to the iPad and was in the process of creating a new instrument and tried to rename it. I suspect that I never clicked the done button to actually create the instrument when I tried to rename it but I'm not exactly sure.
I know how to upload and create instruments so my persistence paid off but now that I know how to do it I can't recreate my steps from yesterday when I didn't know what I was doing, sorry. Like I said it was user error on my part. I remember going through this some months ago when I first got an iPhone, trying to do the exact same thing and I eventually figured it out at that time too but forgot since I hadn't done it since then. The whole process is a lot easier than I was trying to make it.
One thing I had to fix on most of the sample sets was the meta data note names for each sample. Even though the sample files were named correctly with note name in the file name, the meta (?) data wasn't correct and the correct pitches wouldn't sound until I fixed that.

TJ and Drumjam are two of my favorite iOS music apps, made even better with Audiobus.
Thanks!