TJ, iphone, mac & broadcom wi-fi adapters? Anyone know if they will work together?

jimaneejeebus

TJ, iphone, mac & broadcom wi-fi adapters? Anyone know if they will work together?

Post by jimaneejeebus »

As a hack many years ago, a lot of us on the mac platform-instaed of buying the expensive airport card-used standard broadcom wifi adapters using a driver software called Ralink wireless utility. Ralink wireless utility allows the setup of an ad-hoc network, but I have no iphone and I am wondering if the two will play ball with eachother?

I don't want to have to buy an iphone (which I'm only getting because of thunbjam!) and then find out I have to buy a stupid airport card :(

Yes I am a skinflint I know, but iphones and airport cards are expensive! Has anyone got TJ up and running with an ad hoc network on a mac WITHOUT using the conventional Airport adapter?....ie using broadcom devices

Many thanks in advance :)

jimaneejeebus

I managed to set up an ad hoc

Post by jimaneejeebus »

I managed to set up an ad hoc network between my windows laptop and mac, so I'm gonna presume I'll be able to do the same with an iphone?

Next question, I presume there is a special protocol that is used to detect midi over wifi networks. I presume this is in audiomidi setup (correct)

Now I am not going to presume that Audio Midi setup will work nicely with a non airport device. I am hoping it will, but I will not presume!! Anyone any experience with this?

J.C

No problem with audio MIDI

Post by J.C »

No problem with audio MIDI setup. Whatever device I use.

jimaneejeebus

Thanks, JC. I presume by that

Post by jimaneejeebus »

Thanks, JC. I presume by that you also have a broadcom chipset instead of Airport as they are the only other adapters that will work with mac?