ThumbJam and Orphion

mprove

ThumbJam and Orphion

Post by mprove »

I want to control ThumbJam from Orphion. But I cannot get it to work. Do others have more luck?

# midi

Jesse

It works fine, just set the

Post by Jesse »

It works fine, just set the following options in ThumbJam:
In Prefs->MIDI Control:
Use CoreMIDI = ON
Active in Background = ON
Omni Mode = ON

In Orphion's MIDI settings:
MIDI Output = ON
Multiple MIDI channels = ON
Send Pitchbend = OFF (try on if you want to experiment with it)
Send Pressure = OFF (you can also experiment with this and TJ's corresponding options)

That's it!

mprove

sounds good - just not for me

Post by mprove »

sounds good - just not for me yet.
e.g. SelineHD shows up as MIDI input Connection in ThumbJam -- Orphion does not.

I have an iPad 1st gen with iOS 5.0.1. Both apps have the latest versions installed. I keep on trying... 'would love to play your Hang with Orphion :: http://soundcloud.com/audimprove/hang-1

Jesse

Hmm, I did the exact

Post by Jesse »

Hmm, I did the exact instructions I just posted and Orphion plays TJ for me. It is normal for Orphion to not show up in TJ because it doesn't have its own virtual port, but if you set it up for sending, Orphion sends to ALL applications that do. For what it is worth, I started TJ before Orphion, perhaps killing them both, and starting in that order may help?

mprove

yes! I even shut down the

Post by mprove »

yes! I even shut down the iPad and restarted. Then 1st ThumbJam with the settings above. Then Orphion. Guess what, it works. :)

mprove

Hi Jesse, the MIDI connection

Post by mprove »

Hi Jesse,
the MIDI connection between Orphion and ThumbJam remains shaky for me. When it works it is stable. But e.g. selecting a new layout in Orphion (long touch to select a new layout) bears the high risk that ThumbJams goes sleeping in the background, i.e. when I switch to TJ to take a look, I see the spinner on the splash screen. Then back to Orphion and then it works again.

One idea: Do you think it is possible to apply the tilt and shake sensors in TJ while the keys are remotely controlled from other apps. Touch in Orphion -> Midi to TJ -> and then the sound gets modified as defined in Edit->Control, but just the gyro sensors ;-)
-Matthias

Jesse

Well, it sounds like you are

Post by Jesse »

Well, it sounds like you are running dangerously close to your RAM capacity to hold all the apps you want to run, if iOS is killing ThumbJam in the background even if you recently ran it. Unless TJ actually crashed while in the background. Perhaps that's why it worked fine after that reboot? Do you practice frequent killing of apps in the multitasking bar (double-tap home button) to keep your resources as free as possible?

Regarding accelerometer in the background, I think Apple frowns on that.... but it would theoretically work (I think) if I let those events continue.

mprove

I have the 64GB iPad 1st

Post by mprove »

I have the 64GB iPad 1st generation, plenty of apps, but only Orphion and ThumbJam are running. I think the RAM size is 246MB. I have almost all TJ instruments downloaded. Is it too much? TJ Buffer Size is Auto, and polyphony set to 16.
Thanks for thinking about my issues. I can live with it. I am learning how to get it working.