I can't play in gliding mode when Thumbjam is controled with Beatmaker 2

Major Lee

I can't play in gliding mode when Thumbjam is controled with Beatmaker 2

Post by Major Lee »

Hi all,
I can not play Thumbjam in gliding mode when triggered from Beatmaker 2. When playing the upright bass (bass plucked) in Thumbjam, if I slide from C to D , Thumbjam glides gently from C to D. If i do the same thing on the beatmaker 2 keyboard, the two notes are triggered separately one after the other without gliding in between. Is there a special midi setting in thumbjam to allow the gliding from an external application controler.

Thanks by advance.
Major Lee

Jesse

The controller app must

Post by Jesse »

The controller app must implement the gliding on its end using pitchbend messages. The reason for requiring this and not gliding the note in TJ when a different note-down comes in, is that TJ has no idea if that note should be glided to or not, because there is context of a "touch" when just receiving MIDI input, and whether or not the new note would be a new "touch", or a continuation of one already there (that could be glided).

For a controller to support the full capabilities of TJ as played in the app, it has to put separate "touches" on different MIDI channels and use pitchbend appropriately on each of them. Geosynth does this (as well as supporting the optional note-tie custom NRPN that lets it avoid retriggers at all), for instance.

Major Lee

Thanks for your kind

Post by Major Lee »

Thanks for your kind Explanation.
Do you know an iOS controller with midi editors capability that would support full capabilities of Thumbjam.
The idea is to find a way to fix some tempo issues after recording with thumb jam. It would be nice if one could
open the midi part of a loop in another app that supports midi edition and from that app control Thumbjam while
playing back the fixed midi part. Now, i think that we cannot open a tumbjam loop .mid in Beatmaker like we can in nanostudio,
I don't know if nano studio can control thumbjam (and if it can , probably not fully).
The only solution i have is to repeat the part endlessly in TJ till perfection ....

I think Thumbjam as a very nice sound and i already used it in compositions. Once again very well done!

J.C

You should try Music Studio

Post by J.C »

You should try Music Studio to open and edit TJ MIDI Files, once edited you can play them in MS, controlling TJ and record in TJ. That's my typical workflow.

Major Lee

Thanks for you advice, Does

Post by Major Lee »

Thanks for you advice,
Does music studio send the gliding message to thumbjam when two consecutive notes are played as Jesse explains in this topic ?

J.C

Unfortunately not.

Post by J.C »

Unfortunately not.