Legal stuff - commercial use

MakingMinis

Legal stuff - commercial use

Post by MakingMinis »

I can't seem to find any information on the license granted to thumb pad users regarding commercial use if sounds and loops. If I use thumbjamb to create all or part of a commercial recording using only sound samples, and not loops, do I own the recording free and clear, without infringing anyone else's rights, and with no one else having any rights in my recordings? What about loops uploaded through the thumb jam interface? Do I give up my copyright in recordings by posting them to this forum? I don't recall any click through agreement, at least not yet encountered.

Jesse

You bring up a good point, I

Post by Jesse »

You bring up a good point, I should have a legal disclaimer posted stating that you own any recordings you make with ThumbJam for any purposes, including use of built-in or downloaded instruments and loops from Sonosaurus.

Recordings made with loops that you upload into the app follow whatever licensing restrictions apply to those loops, TJ is just like any other software application... just a tool.

You retain whatever rights you claim when you make posts of music, audio, or instruments to this forum.

MakingMinis

Thank-you. I presume at the

Post by MakingMinis »

Thank-you. I presume at the very least we do not have rights to simply resell the samples or loops, but anything we make using them is ours to sell or distribute as we please, so long as we do not hold out that we own or created the samples used. That's the sort of license I've seen from sample and loop vendors like beta monkey.

Jesse

That is correct, you do not

Post by Jesse »

That is correct, you do not have the right to sell or distribute the samples or loops created by Sonosaurus.

dswo

What about new instruments

Post by dswo »

What about new instruments made with samples from ThumbJam? I've used ThumbJam "naked," but I've also used it to make new instruments using Grain Science. The most successful of these is a combination of TJ's harp and violin samples: the attack is plucked, but the sustain is bowed, and the whole thing is heavily effected (in Grain Science) to emphasize the bowing.

I'm not interested in selling anything -- loops or samples -- but could I distribute my Grain Science instrument? I would understand if the answer is "no."

dswo

P.S. A couple examples of the

Post by dswo »

P.S. A couple examples of the Grain Science instrument, which I call "Pizz Bow":

http://soundcloud.com/dswo/miyajima-dawn
http://soundcloud.com/dswo/may-fanfare

Jesse

Let me clarify, I have no

Post by Jesse »

Let me clarify, I have no problem if you want to distribute your derived instruments. In fact, if I like them enough, I might ask you if I can distribute them in TJ!