Paste midi file

Bob

Paste midi file

Post by Bob »

I know how to record a midi file with TJ but want to know if there is a way to use it in the app afterwards. There doesn't seem to be an "Open In " option. I can copy the midi file to Audio Copy and open it in Bs-16i, for example, but TJ doesn't show up as an option. I can also copy the file to the general pasteboard and import in to TJ but it doesn't do anything.

Seems odd that TJ will record midi but won't play it back.

Am I missing something?

Jesse

Nope, you're not missing

Post by Jesse »

Nope, you're not missing anything... TJ doesn't playback MIDI files right now. I thought it would open a can of worms regarding DAW/sequencer features that people might expect if it could.

Out of curiosity, how would you use MIDI files in TJ if you had your way? Especially given all that is now possible with Audiobus and virtual midi?

Bob

I've been playing around with

Post by Bob »

I've been playing around with Chordion as a virtual midi controller. I'm not enamored with its internal sounds. But it's ideal for chords. Recall that having chord functions has been a requested feature on TJ for some time.

But, it doesn't record midi notes. So, when I have gotten my patterns down I'd like to be able to record the midi notes and use TJ to play its samples or send midi to other apps. For example, I might have something that sounds right on a piano but want to hear the same notes with the string ensemble in TJ. Yes, I can set TJ to record a session while I'm doing the piano part but that doesn't give me other options. I may want to layer a TJ sample with a preset from another app and playing back a midi file is ideal for that.

Right now the only app I have that will record and play back midi is Bs-16i. I'd rather not have to use it because its file management is awful. Plus, support is nonexistent.

Audiobus is great but, on an iPad 2, once you get several output apps opened with maybe an effect slot and an input app, the processor gets taxed.

Lastly, I'm making a tutorial for using Chordion as a virtual midi controller to be posted on Cliff Johnston's iOS Community blog and wanted to use TJ as an example of an app that would record and play back midi. So, you would have gotten some pub.