How to create/export midi file

KeithSloan

How to create/export midi file

Post by KeithSloan »

Okay I thought the new version supported midi, but cannot see how I export a midi file that I can then import in an app such as symphony pro.

Jesse

The MIDI files are created

Post by Jesse »

The MIDI files are created with each loop you record if you enable the "Save MIDI Loops" option in Prefs->MIDI Control, but you need to save the Loop Set, and then export that using one of the available mechanisms: prefs->wifi transfer, or Prefs->Import/Export->Export Loop Set which lets you use iTunes file sharing, or email. Any way you do it, you will get a ZIP file containing some info files along with a sounds folder which will contain the audio and midi files for each loop.

Hope that helps, I can elaborate if you still have trouble.

KeithSloan

Have to say I VERY

Post by KeithSloan »

Have to say I VERY disappointed with this. What I was hoping for was an option to save as a midi file and then use the "Open in" facility to open the midi file in symphony pro. Using ZIP files is bad news as far as I can see, other Apps don't have any facilities to open zip files. Going via email or iTunes file sharing is just a pain in the butt. The way ppt, pdf, doc etc get passed around in other ipad apps is via "Open In" so why not midi, Symphony Pro supports it.

I have been impressed by Thumbjam up until now, but passing midi files around via zip files and iTunes file sharing just sucks.

Take a look at http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ ... 010409-SW1 if you have not done so before, especially the bit that says "Opening Files From Other Apps"

Jesse

Ah, so you want to be able to

Post by Jesse »

Ah, so you want to be able to open a single midi file in another app on the device. The current feature is obviously for people who want to continue working with the midi/audio on their computer.

It would be pretty straightforward for me to add a feature to pass a .mid file to the system to open with an app that has registered for it (like Symphony Pro). It just hadn't been requested before, so I'll look past your negative outlook, and just take it as a friendly feature request, OK? :)

Currently, I make one midi file per loop, but it would be possible for me to put all the loops in one file, with one loop per track. Would that interest you?

PS: ThumbJam now has the ability to open ZIP files using that mechanism, you can send around zipped up loopsets, instruments, samples, loops, scales, etc via email attachments and someone else with TJ on the other end can install it directly.

KeithSloan

"It would be pretty

Post by KeithSloan »

"It would be pretty straightforward for me to add a feature to pass a .mid file to the system to open with an app that has registered for it (like Symphony Pro). It just hadn't been requested before, so I'll look past your negative outlook, and just take it as a friendly feature request, OK? :)"

Part of the blame must lie with Apple, I keep coming across apps that I want to use to exchange data and finding they don't support "open in" and one had to nag the developer,which they normally resolve quickly in the next release.

Sorry for the frustration, but I was so looking forward to the feature, which I assumed would come with midi support.

I am not sure about loops. I am not really a musician and really like the idea that Thumbjam stops one creating discords. My plan was to use it to create riffs that I pass to my daughter for further work in symphony pro.

Jesse

MIDI versions of each

Post by Jesse »

MIDI versions of each individual loop are saved when you save as a Loop Set. You can export this using either wifi transfer, email, or itunes file sharing.

First you need to enable the feature before you record anything, by going to Prefs->Midi Control and turning on Save MIDI Loops. You won't get any midi files for loopsets that you recorded before you turned that option on. To save a loopset you do Loop->Save and then "Save Set". Then you can use wifi transfer from Prefs->WiFi Transfer, enable the server then use your browser on your computer to go the address listed there. You'll see on that page your Loop Sets and then you can first "archive" it, then download it as a ZIP file. You can also use Prefs->Import/Export and do an Export Loop Sets to email that ZIP or put it in the itunes file sharing area, for grabbing from within itunes when connected via cable to your computer.

The ZIP file itself contains a few files and a sounds directory, where the WAV and .mid versions of each loop will be.

Jesse

Was that the only midi file

Post by Jesse »

Was that the only midi file produced from that loop set? Record a few loops and keep trying, you should definitely have content in there. Note that the "Session Record" feature does not have any midi recording capabilities and has nothing to do with loop sets, I only mention that because you used the "session" terminology in your original message.

KeithSloan

Any news on when a version

Post by KeithSloan »

Any news on when a version that supports "Open In" of midi files might come out?

Jesse

You folks will be happy to

Post by Jesse »

You folks will be happy to know I just implemented 'Open MIDI In', and now put the midi content for all loops in a single multi-track midi file. Export MIDI via email is also implemented.

This will go into the v2.1 release which I am actually, really, and truly putting the finishing touches on right now.

KeithSloan

Great News. Looking forward

Post by KeithSloan »

Great News. Looking forward to downloading the new version. Great Work.