Help with WiFi transfer of loops

buzziebeeteacher

Help with WiFi transfer of loops

Post by buzziebeeteacher »

New to IPad 2 and this app. Created something I'd like to use on a PC for editing and embedding, but not familiar with transferring techniques. Can someone please help me understand step by step the process. Have read directions in HELP manual several times, but it isn't making sense. My IPad and Desktop computer are on the same network, however, IPad is wireless while desktop is not. Please help an eager user whose understanding of IP addresses and such is nill. Thanks, buzziebeeteacher

Jesse

OK, just in case, reboot your

Post by Jesse »

OK, just in case, reboot your iPad by holding down the sleep button for 7 seconds or so until it asks to turn off, then start it back up. Now make sure the iPad sees the wifi (bars) then start ThumbJam. Hit the Prefs button, then Wifi Transfer. Flip the switch in that page to Server Enabled. You should see a web address like http://N.N.N.N:8080 where the Ns are all numbers. You want to open up the web browser on your computer and type the entire address into the location. If all goes well you will see a ThumbJam Configuration web page, which means your computer was able to successfully connect to the ThumbJam running on the iPad.

If that works, and you have questions about what to do on the configuration page to download your content, let me know.

buzziebeeteacher

Thanks, Jesse, I got the

Thanks, Jesse, I got the configuration page for Thumbjam. Now, to have a look-see. If I have any more trouble, I'll holler. Hey, I figured out what I did wrong. The last . is really a colon. I didn't type that in the first time. Thanks again, buzziebeeteacher

buzziebeeteacher

Okay, I was able to download

Okay, I was able to download the file and save it, but when I tried to play it in Windows player, it didn't have the right codec so I couldn't play it. I tried opening it in Realplayer, thinking since it was the Apple equivalent it should work, and it didn't play there either. I checked the properties of the file to see what "type" it is but it just says file. I think I saved it incorrectly. Can you now walk me through that process? Thanks, buzziebeeteacher

Is it possible I really want to record a session rather than a loop? I am attempting to do that now, waiting for quantized start to begin. Noticing the "record from Mic" is on and thinking that will create another problem. So much learning to do.

New pink notice occurred at bottom of page stating that session is being recorded. I will give this a shot on transferring. Maybe it will play for me.

Jesse

There are several things you

Post by Jesse »

There are several things you can download. Sessions, or Loop Sets. A session is recording everything you hear during its record time, it is stored as a basic stereo WAV file, anything will open it. If you save a set of loops as a LoopSet (Loop->Save) and then download it (Archiving it first from the web interface) you get a ZIP archive. When you unzip that archive on your computer you will find a few metadata files, and a sounds directory inside it with one stereo wav file per loop. The names will be numeric, and they should be openable by anything as well.

The next version of TJ will support mixdown so that you can get a single WAV file from a mixdown of your current loops, with perfect lengths.

Jesse

Be sure to kill ThumbJam and

Post by Jesse »

Be sure to kill ThumbJam and restart it before trying the WiFi transfer, there is a known issue where it won't get the correct address if you move between wifi and TJ was still running in the background. To kill TJ, from the main device home screen, double-tap the home button to bring up the taskbar. Find the TJ icon in the taskbar at the bottom, press and hold it for a few seconds until the red remove indicators show up, then tap the remove indicator to kill it. Then start TJ up again and give it another try.