Live play amplifier needed

SparkyD

Live play amplifier needed

Post by SparkyD »

I want to jam in Thumbjam on my iPod Touch, playing along with analog/acoustic musicians. So I need to amplify my virtual instrument so I'm a comparable volume. I assume I need an amp of some sort rather than speakers, as this needs to be portable and reasonably compact, and stereo speakers would be kind of awkward, I'd think.

What do TJ live-performance musicians use? Thanks!

LATER: 'Cos nobody replied, I'm wondering if I'm the only Thumbjammer who plays with acoustic musicians. Is there anybody else out there? I've looked at some small amps online, but the mini, battery-powered units just don't have enough volume without distortion. So I figure I'll need something a little larger and maybe plug-in. Size-wise though, I'd rather not haul around anything heavier than a large purse. In fact, something with a shoulder strap might be a good option.

SparkyD

Thanks very much for those

Post by SparkyD »

Thanks very much for those recommendations, grandude. Which model of Powerwerks speaker did you get?

I didn't see a 50-watt, so maybe you meant the 60-watt for my needs. Am I correct that higher wattage means more volume? Even 60 watts sounds like a lot, compared to the 2 to 10 watts I've been seeing with other, battery-powered units, which seem terribly underpowered.

I'll check out the Rolands next. This is a big help!

Jesse

He was referring to the

Post by Jesse »

He was referring to the PW-50, here:
http://www.powerwerks.com/page/PW50-20.aspx

I've also heard the pw100 and it does sound good with TJ, I bet they both would.

SparkyD

Sweet! And at $99 at Amazon,

Post by SparkyD »

Sweet! And at $99 at Amazon, that's a very reasonable price. Thanks, guys, for all your help. The PW50 is now officially on my birthday wishlist. If only I was born in January!

One (dumb?) question: the manufacturer's photos show the unit standing vertically—can it also be used horizontally?

And another: the PW50 manual says about the AUX IN: "Use this stereo input to connect an external audio device such as an MP3, CD player or computer for playback. Note: Right and Left channels are summed to mono on this input." Does that mean that the output will no longer be stereo, or are the channels another issue? (Warning: audio tech ignoramus in the room.)

Jesse

You can position it however

Post by Jesse »

You can position it however you want, and it also has a speaker stand mount on the bottom so you can use one to get it up to a good audible height. But sitting on something, it can be in any orientation.

Yes, the output will be mono, the speaker as a whole is a single sound source (the multiple speakers reinforce each other from the same signal). The input channels are there to be mixed together with controllable levels.

SparkyD

Thanks for the clarification,

Post by SparkyD »

Thanks for the clarification, Jesse. So is there such a thing as a portable stereo speaker unit for playing live, or is mono just as good?

guitarchitect

I (and my good friend whose

Post by guitarchitect »

I (and my good friend whose also a TJ user) both use two-Roland Cube 30 Monitors for TJ output...they're very small and portable. (not battery powered) Sound great! The two together work great for stereo effects and panning left right live!
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubeMon30

SparkyD

Thanks, guitarchitect! I'm

Post by SparkyD »

Thanks, guitarchitect! I'm going to have to figure out if this or the Powerwerks is my better bet. The Roland is twice the price and lower watts, so I'm not sure. Would it be loud enough (without distortion) to play along with several live real-instrument musicians and be able to hear myself? I go to parties where anywhere from four to a dozen folks are jamming on acoustic gear (guitars, mandolins, upright basses, fiddles).