Can't get Thumbjam to play on airport express

Slowhand321

Can't get Thumbjam to play on airport express

Post by Slowhand321 »

Hello,
I’m a new Thumbjam user, (v.1.3.2), with a new iPad2, (OS 4.3.3 8j2), and I’m having a problem getting the sound to play on my airport remote speakers. I’m able to play music from itunes on my system without a problem. However, when I open Thumbjam, the music stops playing through my remote speakers immediately, and is then played only through the iPad. As soon as I close Thumbjam, the music is played through my remote speakers again. There's also an "all-off!" icon that I hadn't noticed before which now appears on the Thumbjam screen at all times. Hopefully, I’ve provided enough info here. If there's anything else you might need, please let me know, and thanks very much for your help.

Jesse

Are the remote speakers

Post by Jesse »

Are the remote speakers bluetooth, or is it using AirPlay? Either way, the reason TJ is not playing out those devices is because it is using a PlayAndRecord audio session which means Apple disables certain output types. The next version will provide an option to force a playback only mode so that you can use bluetooth output (or others).

That All-off button means that you have midi or osc output enabled in Prefs->Remote Control... you can turn that off from there.

Slowhand321

Thanks very much for your

Post by Slowhand321 »

Thanks very much for your reply, Jesse. In answer to your question regarding the remote speaker system that I’m using, the speakers are a set of Klipsch speakers that I’ve had for a few years, and they are connected to an airport express module approximately 15 feet away from my computer.

With that in mind, am I correct in assuming that other than connecting my iPad directly to the speakers with a cable, there's nothing that I can do at present with my current system that will allow the output from ThumbJam to be heard through my speakers? I’m still a bit new to all of this, and I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.
Bruce

Jesse

That is correct, you'll need

Post by Jesse »

That is correct, you'll need to wire it to the speakers.

Also, the big issue with the wireless audio output solutions (once I enable their use) is that the added latency can be large, meaning that the responsiveness of the instrument suffers in a pretty big way. I personally would never be satisfied using it that way, but I understand that some people are less sensitive than others to it.

garyinthailand

I hope we can get a version

Post by garyinthailand »

I hope we can get a version with wireless (Playback only) enabled soon. I was also disappointed when the Bluetooth receiver I purchased worked with most of my apps except TJ. TJ was the main reason I bought it!. I understand the latency issue, but can live with it.

Thanks for the great great app, Jesse. It's time for an update, though.