ThumbJam on iPad Pro 12.9

SanjayKatti

ThumbJam on iPad Pro 12.9

Post by SanjayKatti »

Hello everyone, I'm new to ThumbJam Software. My interest is to use this beautiful software for Hindustani Classical Music as it allows me to Micro-Tune the notes required for a Raaga. I have an iPad Air2 and the issue is that the Width of the Keys is kind of narrow if I have all three octaves on one screen. Has anyone tried using ThumbJam on an iPad Pro 12.9? Does the width of keys automatically increase on the larger screen? It would be great if someone can post a screenshot on ThumbJam running on iPad Pro 12.9 with Span Set to Three Octaves.

Thank You

Sanjay

Jesse

Re: ThumbJam on iPad Pro 12.9

Post by Jesse »

Yes, it will expand to use the full resolution of the big iPad Pro, so notes will get wider physically with the same range. Another thing you can consider doing is to use the Split feature, which would allow you to put 2 octaves (or 1 with a 3-way split) as the span for each split, and each split starts at a different octave. Also, obviously if the scale you are using has fewer notes, they will get wider.

SanjayKatti

Post by SanjayKatti »

Thank you Jesse. For Hindustani Classical Music, one of the accompanying instruments is the Harmonium which has 3 Octaves. I'm trying to simulate the Harmonium's key layout on the ThumbJam App so that the finger movements I practice on the keyboard/Harmonium become applicable to ThumbJam as well. I'll try to find an iPad Pro 12.9 and see how wide the Keys show up.

One more question. Is there a way to remove Keys (even if they belong to the chosen scale) from the lower and higher octaves? Typically In Hindustani Classical Music, we use the last 3-4 keys of the Lower Octave and the First 3-4 Keys of the Higher Octave. If we could remove the unused keys, it'll free up the space to have wider keys.

Thank You

Sanjay

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Yes, if you turn on the "Show Pitchbar" in the Prefs popup, you can drag the edges of that bar to adjust the top and bottom notes displayed. That could help!