fading up from nothing = lower max vol than direct strike

ckbarlow

fading up from nothing = lower max vol than direct strike

Post by ckbarlow »

Hi, there:

Really enjoying this app. Building some custom instruments for an upcoming performance. One instrument/preset -- the bottom keyboard of a multi in landscape mode -- uses X axis for volume.

My issue: I've found that if I strike a note in this preset at the top, I get a nice full volume, but if I fade it in by sliding up from the bottom, I can't reach that same volume. Is this related to the velocity implementation? (I guess logically it shouldn't be, because I'm not retriggering...) I have the min vol at lowest possible, but that shouldn't be a factor, right?

The workaround I've found is to hit the top of the key and then slide to the bottom as quickly as possible. If I do it well, the note doesn't sound at the higher volume, just the lower, and I can do a reasonable fade in and also reach the full volume.

Thanks for any advice/help/best practices.
CK Barlow
iPad Mini 32GB [Model PD532LL/A]
Version 8.3 (12F69)

Jesse

Re: fading up from nothing = lower max vol than direct strik

Post by Jesse »

Are you using multiple samples per note (velocity layering)? If not then I'll need to investigate because I think the initial touch position may be affecting velocity and thus the maximum possible volume, when arguably it shouldn't in this case.

ckbarlow

Re: fading up from nothing = lower max vol than direct strik

Post by ckbarlow »

Nope, no velocity layering.

Multiple samples, but divided by key range to provide access to many distinct sounds from a single keyboard, more like a drum set.

Thanks for the quick response - looking forward to resolving!
CK Barlow
iPad Mini 32GB [Model PD532LL/A]
Version 8.3 (12F69)