instrument disappears in loop

mz

instrument disappears in loop

Post by mz »

I've been having this problem, similar to the instrument names getting mixed up, except for me, an instrument will be replaced by another instrument. A double of one of the other instruments in the loop. The name will stay as the original instrument. This happens after the loop has been saved

mz

Just to add a question to the

Post by mz »

Just to add a question to the issue I'm having, I wanted to know what the limits of this app are, and how much can you store on there. I love it so much I use it alot, creating little pieces of music. I can have 7 or 8 instruments in a loop, and I have 13 or 14 loops on TJ. I realize this is just an IPhone, so can I be asking it to do too much.

Jesse

All loops are stored as audio

Post by Jesse »

All loops are stored as audio files, so in terms of space, it depends on the storage of your device. I should probably have an indicator in the app that shows how much storage you are using.

In terms of run-time performance, how many simultaneous loops you can safely have depends on your hardware. If you start loading it down too much you will notice, in the form of sluggish interface response, or audio dropouts from the loops. If you aren't experiencing these, then you are OK. If you do start getting sluggish UI, you can help it by turning off display updating in the Prefs->Options panel. You can also try reducing the reverb quality on that page as well. I will add further options to control the resource usage later.

mz

Thanks for the reply. I've

Post by mz »

Thanks for the reply. I've been turning off the graphics display, which helps. I'll try the reverb setting also. I'll alsp try storing fewer loops on the phone to see what that does.
On another note, when I've tried to create an archive of a loop online recently, TJ will crash. Have you run into that?

Jesse

Unless you are at the edge of

Post by Jesse »

Unless you are at the edge of your available storage space (check in iTunes) I doubt storing fewer loops will make a difference.

As for the crash, please follow the directions on the following page to send me a crash report:
http://thumbjam.com/node/80

mz

I sent you the crash reports.

Post by mz »

I sent you the crash reports. I don't use the mail on my Mac, so I'm not sure if they went through. Let me know if they didn't and if so, how to send them through another email(gmail).
You were right about storing fewer loops. I took all but four off the phone, and I'm still losing instrument tracks. Other than turning off graphics and lowering the reverb, is there anything else I can do?

Jesse

Do you have a sure-fire way

Post by Jesse »

Do you have a sure-fire way of reproducing this problem? If so, please list the detailed steps!

The crash reports are just files, you can add them as an attachment in any email client (eg gmail).

mz

Alright, I sent the crash

Post by mz »

Alright, I sent the crash reports again via gmail.
I can't say that I have a sure fire way of reproducing the issue I've been having, but I'll tell you the best I can.
I pick and instrument, pick a scale, pick a key, record a track, quantize start is on, graphics display is usually on for the first two or three tracks, then I'll turn it off. I pick more instruments, up to 6 or 7 or so, and record them. Name the loop and save it. I'll reopen thumbjamb at a later time, load the loop, play it, and maybe add or change an instrument, rename and resave it, An example of what's been happening, is I'll have trombone and string ensemble on the loop. When I play it, the string ensemble will be gone and a duplicate of the trombone track will be in it's place, still labeled string ensemble.
Another thing is, when I play a loop, it will often stutter at first and the sound may drop out completely for a few seconds, then it will play.
I don't know if this is enough info to be of help, but I'll try to try to keep a note of exactly what I do in the future.