Offset bug: tests report

J.C

Offset bug: tests report

Post by J.C »

Hi Jesse,

So I runned some test to try to determine what causes the amazingly-still-not-famous offset bug, here are my results:

Quantize start: on / Factor of 2 loop lenghts: on / fixed  loop lenght: 2 bars.  Bug: yes, offset of 2 times.
Quantize start: on / Factor of 2 loop lenghts: on / fixed  loop lenght: 4 bars.  Bug: no.
Quantize start: on / Factor of 2 loop lenghts: on / fixed  loop lenght: 6 bars.  Bug: yes, offset of 4 bars!
Quantize start: on / Factor of 2 loop lenghts: on / fixed  loop lenght: 8 bars.  Bug: yes, offset of 4 bars!
Quantize start: on / Factor of 2 loop lenghts: on / fixed  loop lenght: 10 bars.  Bug: yes, offset of 6 bars!
Quantize start: on / Factor of 2 loop lenghts: on / fixed  loop lenght: 12 bars.  Bug: yes, offset of 8 bars!
Quantize start: on / Factor of 2 loop lenghts: on / fixed  loop lenght: 16 bars.  Bug: yes, offset of 4 bars.

note: I tried to toggle on/off the fixed loop lenght setting but it doesn't change nothing.

The same tests as above but with quantize start off and the bug never appear.

I can open all the recorded loops in an other app and they play well. But back in TJ, the starting point of the loop is wrong.
In some case TJ was able to record and playback the loops fine, then I tried another loop lenght (with or without success, it doesn't matter) and then back to the previous setting, and the bug appeared...

I am really surprised that nobody reported this bug, this is a huge one and since  quite a long time in TJ.

Just play around with the quantize mode on, you can't miss it.

Cheers

Jesse

Can you please describe the

Post by Jesse »

Can you please describe the steps you take when performing the recordings of the loops? How you finish recording, how many loops, whether you pause, rewind, save, load, etc? Metronome on/off?

J.C

Ok, Metronom is always off,

Post by J.C »

Ok,

Metronom is always off, I've done all the test with only one 4 bars drumloop of mine at 100 bpm. I selected the flute instrument. Thats all.
I tap rewind to go to the begining of the loop and record, the loop start to play and I can see the countdown. I sart to play when TJ is back to the start point of the drumloop. The recording finish alone and TJ start to playback the recorded loop along with the drumloop.

I never hit other buttons, I keep it simple to run this test. So no rewind or whatever. Just hit record, wait my turn to play, play, listen to the result. Delete the last loop and run another test.

I tried to see if it was important to put the "playhead at the begining of the loop before hitting record. But it doesn't seem.

I tried to turn off the fixed loop lenght setting but I found the same bug when I did so.

Well that's all actually, pretty basic, I don't play with effects, use factory settings...

Jesse

So you load an initial 4 bar

Post by Jesse »

So you load an initial 4 bar drumloop as the first loop. Then you record a second loop of some length. Any more loops? I'm missing your listening criteria and judgment about what the bug actually is. Is it how the recorded loops starts playback after you stop and rewind?

J.C

The bug is: TJ play the

Post by J.C »

The bug is:

TJ play the recorded loop with an offset of, at least 2 bars. After a recording, the recorded loop start to play at bar 3 instead of bar 1. Other loops are not affected. It doesn't matter if you hit play, rewind or whatever....

It's the same result with each recorded loop in quantize mode.

I don't understand what you don't understand ;-)

Jesse

Well, I'm just not able to

Post by Jesse »

Well, I'm just not able to reproduce anything like that here! You are using v2.1.1, right?

If you have any way to make a video demonstrating it, that would be the most useful....

J.C

Yes I am using 2.1.1 on ios

Post by J.C »

Yes I am using 2.1.1 on ios 5.1.1, iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

An other user reported the same bug before you launched 2.1.1. You said you found it and fixed it in 2.1.1
That is the bug I am talking about.

I can try to record the screen but if you can't reproduce the bug it's unlikely you'll be able to fix it :-(

Jesse

Seeing you do it might expose

Post by Jesse »

Seeing you do it might expose something that is missing in your text description. Show the loop options too.

jlc

J.C

Here is the video: the sound

Post by J.C »

Here is the video:

the sound is a bit offset but you can clearly see and hear the bug. Be aware of the recorded loop. when it starts to playback, just after the recording stops. Offset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRjr40D7yis&feature=plcp

Jesse

Aha, it only happens when

Post by Jesse »

Aha, it only happens when starting record from a stopped state! If you just have your first loop already playing and hit record anytime, it will wait start waiting for the quantized start as normal, and the recording will start without any resulting offset.

Thanks for the video, that really helped. My comment above also gave you the workaround, *always* start recording additional loops when the loop is already playing back.