Can't delete downloaded sample instruments (iPhone 4)

gr6120

Can't delete downloaded sample instruments (iPhone 4)

Post by gr6120 »

After downloading various sample instruments to my iPhone 4, and having decided I no longer want some, I've found I'm unable to delete them (going into Select Presets, tapping the Edit button in the top-right corner, tapping on the red minus icon and then tapping Delete). In this case, the Delete button becomes muted in color, but just becomes unresponsive. I've found this also occurs when instead swiping the sample to the right (to invoke the red Delete button). In that case, when tapping the Delete button, the button simply disappears but the sample remains.

I encountered this issue with iOS 4.2.x, and it persists now that I've updated to iOS 5. I've tried deleting/reinstalling ThumbJam, closing the app in the background/restarting it, and rebooting my phone, all to no avail. I'm using ThumbJam v. 1.3.2.

Much obliged for any help with this!

Jesse

Yes, this is a confusing

Post by Jesse »

Yes, this is a confusing area. There are two ways to remove a downloaded instrument completely:
1) Go to the Edit->Samples page. Click on the Sample Set button near the top, and a list of sample sets will come up. Find the entry and swipe to the right to bring up delete button, and hit. Is this what you tried to no avail already?
2) Do it from the Wifi Transfer web connection.

I'll consider making this easier (and functional!)

gr6120

Thanks for the quick reply,

Post by gr6120 »

Thanks for the quick reply, Jesse.

Unfortunately, the directions in (1) for deleting samples via Edit/Samples are what I'd already tried but had found to be the apparent bug. As for (2), the WiFi Transfer web connection UI doesn't seem to offer any option for the deletion of samples (at least not that I was able to find).

As far as I can tell by exploring the various menus and options, in its current version, ThumbJam provides no way to delete downloaded samples. I suspect this is part of the bug, as the UI is clearly set up to allow this action.

Also wondering about another thing: most of the downloaded instrument samples aren't organized by their respective type in the Select Instrument -> Category view, but are instead lumped together under "Other." Is there any way to assign a category to samples (e.g., guitar, keyboard, etc.)? It would also be helpful if TJ could be made to remember the user's option to have instruments displayed by category. Currently, TJ reverts to listing all alphabetically when quitting and then restarting the app.

By the way, just curious as to when the much-anticipated TJ update is due out? It's by far my favorite music app, and I think you're doing an outstanding job with it. I still can't over the quality of the samples -- and on a phone, no less!

Jesse

OK, I just implemented a way

Post by Jesse »

OK, I just implemented a way to do it from the main download page for the upcoming release. If you click on an installed entry, it will give you the option to delete, or redownload (in the case when i update their metadata to include categories).

The final beta versions are being tested as we speak. I have all intentions of submitting it to apple over the weekend.

gr6120

Wow, you're fast! Many thanks

Post by gr6120 »

Wow, you're fast! Many thanks for all the prompt replies, and for addressing these issues so quickly. Just another reason why ThumbJam is my favorite iPhone music app. Really looking forward to the update.

gr6120

Hey Jesse. I've just

Post by gr6120 »

Hey Jesse.

I've just downloaded the 2.0 update and it seems incredible so far ... except for the fact the the bug I reported earlier where you can't delete downloaded samples is unfortunately still present. All continues to be as described in my earlier posts in this thread.

Also, not sure if I've come across an issue now with some of the newly added instruments where sound is distorted (crackling/popping sound) for these: Dirty Organ 2 and Blues Organ 2. It's almost as if they were recorded too "hot" and are overloading the audio output. I've tried turning the volume way down but get the same result -- but only with those two instruments.

Finally, I continue to notice that, after quitting the app, certain preferences don't stick when restarting TJ, for example, the sorting of instruments on the Select Preset screen. If you choose to sort by Category, TJ reverts to displaying All when restarting the app. Also, the pref to display the Sustain and Sustain Lock at the bottom of the screen is lost when restarting TJ.

I'm not sure if TJ is meant to retain user prefs after it's closed but it's a couple of needless extra steps for users that, if tweaked, would make the playing experience even better.

Please keep up the fantastic work with TJ., Jesse. It really is outstanding and has quickly be one my favorite music app for the iPhone.

Best,
Adam

gr6120

Jesse, Just wanted to add

Post by gr6120 »

Jesse,

Just wanted to add that the distortion I heard for those two samples was present only when listening through headphones. When playing through the iPhone's built-in speaker, the sounds are clean. Once again, the distortion is present only for the two new organ samples (at even low volumes). All others are distortion-free.

gr6120

Dean, I just followed your

Post by gr6120 »

Dean,

I just followed your instructions -- and it worked! Thanks so much for responding to my post. That said, the proper mechanism for deleting downloaded samples (swiping over them and tapping the Delete button) is still broken. I know that Jesse had said it was to be fixed for this release but maybe he didn't have a chance to implement it yet.

Adam

Jesse

As for the distortion on the

Post by Jesse »

As for the distortion on the new stereo instruments (you'll also hear it on the TJuno ones), I am sadly aware of it... still trying to track it down. It appears to be coming primarily from the left channel.

Jesse

The deleting instruments

Post by Jesse »

The deleting instruments thing is still slightly buggy, I think it is possible for some instruments to become "phantom", but usually going into Edit->Sample, clicking Sample Sets button, and doing the swipe to delete thing will take care of it. I've seen certain deleted items still show up in the Change Instrument page under the Category view, but gone in the All view. As mentioned above, you can also delete the "official" downloaded instruments from the download page too. Also note that I did add categories to all those now, so the redownload option is there if you want to get them again with the proper categories.

Of course TJ saves many user preferences, you just happened to find two it doesn't! I'll add the instrument listing style preference to the saved state, and I guess I can do the sustain bar visibility too.