Can't keep app from running in background

Hiouchibear

Can't keep app from running in background

Post by Hiouchibear »

I have an iPhone 3GS and I can't keep the app from running in the background. I looked at the fixes that are listed and they appear to be fixes for the new iPhone 4. It mentions double tapping the home screen and turning off the app from there but I have NO idea what home screen or task bar I can access on my 3GS. When I'm making calls or using some other apps such as a voice recorder app, it opens up Thumbjam or puts a red bar across the top. This is VERY annoying. Had I not paid Si much for the app, I would delete it for this reason alone if I could not find a fix.

mat

Hi, Normally you just have

Post by mat »

Hi,

Normally you just have to double press the home button (the 'physical' round button with a square in the middle) on the idevice: a bar with currently running apps should display on the bottom of the screen. Put your finger on one of the icons until a red sign appears, this is necessary to really close apps in iOs 4, press on the Thumbjam icon and it will close it for real.

Note that the fact the app is running in the background is a very useful feature which allows to have what you're playing in Thumbjam sounding as a backing track while playing and possibly recording something in another music making app.

Cheers

Jesse

Mat's directions to work

Post by Jesse »

Mat's directions to work around the issue are correct. Note that ThumbJam does have a bug, in that it wakes up again when it isn't supposed to. This will be fixed in the next release (which has a bunch of other features in it).

LeighAnnNC

Any idea WHEN the next

Post by LeighAnnNC »

Any idea WHEN the next release will be?

Jesse

I predict it will be sometime

Post by Jesse »

I predict it will be sometime in February. Sorry for the delay!

Capt

I just stop the loop. Please

Post by Capt »

I just stop the loop. Please don't fix it from running in background. It is too cool for using with other apps

Jesse

Don't worry, the loop

Post by Jesse »

Don't worry, the loop playback in the background is the intentional normal behavior, it's not going anywhere. There was a bug that even when TJ was doing nothing, that certain actions (incoming calls, etc) would cause TJ to wake up and show the red bar. That bug has been fixed in the current release.

Jesse

Actually I believe this issue

Post by Jesse »

Actually I believe this issue is actually due to bug in iOS, after all it shouldn't be possible for one app to affect others in this way. The audio system is rather complicated under the hood.

The best way I've found to work around this issue is to start the iPod application and start playing something there briefly. Then when you go back to the other apps things are usually back to normal.