A few things

saichele

A few things

Post by saichele »

(1) The option to further split the playing interface (e.g., more than 2 columns) & the ability to apply different scales / chords to each section (very useful for chord progressions).

(2) Better handling of the user sample library - I have a ton of samples, and it takes forever just to access the list. Much better would be to collapse things into folders and only load the list for a folder when it's open.

(3) The ability to visually-edit samples and loop points

that's it - thanks for a great product.

Jesse

All good suggestions,

Post by Jesse »

All good suggestions, although I assume the first part of #1 only makes sense on an iPad. The scales being selectable per split will be included in the next release. I think #2 is good, would you prefer that folders in the list be expandable, or should it be the standard iOS sliding view when you select a folder? #3 will likely come a little later.

saichele

Wow, that was a quick

Post by saichele »

Wow, that was a quick reply!

Re #1: I agree that it would be difficult to further section the screen on an iPhone or iPod, but even a 3-column layout would be *extremely* helpful to those of us wanting instant-access to chord progressions.

Re #2: I really like collapsible/expandable folders. The main thing though is to reduce load times. I have about 5 GB worth of samples I'm currently sorting through, and it takes forever to load and scroll through that list. One additional nicety would be to remove the auto-select on touch feature. Most of the time I just end up auditioning a sample (not loading it), and it would be great not to have to deal with 2 button presses (select/unselect) each time. I realize others may prefer things as-is, so it's a minor point.

Re #3: oh man, this is crucial to me. Mainly I have difficulty finding adequate start/end loop points without a visual waveform to work with, and this renders Thumbjam much less useful to me than it would otherwise be. It really doesn't need to be anything fancy. Perhaps I am missing an obvious technique one can use to solve this problem using only the time markers and my ears.

Thanks again - after downloading countless pieces of music software, Thumbjam remains at the top of the heap.

Jesse

#1 - I think there is

Post by Jesse »

#1 - I think there is probably a more elegant solution to the chord progression problem. One idea is to add a set of buttons that can be shown along the side, into which you can store any scale/key/range combination. For instance, to set them you select the setup you want, then press and hold the button for 3 secs to assign it. Repeat as desired for the other buttons. Then pressing the buttons instantly recalls them.

#2 - understood, it would load the subfolders on demand only.

#3 - we'll see what I can whip up, maybe I'll accelerate it, because you are right, you really can't get the resolution you need to really set those properly the way it is now.

mat

Hi folks, I must say Jesse's

Post by mat »

Hi folks,

I must say Jesse's solution to Saichele's #1 is absolutely brilliant, can't wait to see this coming to ThumbJam. One thing though, it would probably really help to be able to store what will be attributed to these new buttons (as packed with a user instrument or, better to me,as a separate element which could be loaded with any other instrument). Would that be possible?

#2 would be great.

#3 would be nice, in the mean time the sample functions of Beatmaker 2 may probably be used as a workaround.

saichele

In giving #1 more thought,

Post by saichele »

In giving #1 more thought, I'm sure you're right that there's a much more elegant way to handle the chord progression issue. I'm just not sure what it is.

and as for accelerating #3... That would make Thumbjam my most-used iPhone music app!

raketemensch

Just to further complicate

Post by raketemensch »

Just to further complicate your life (feel free to ignore me, I'm an edge case for sure), taking #1 above and being able to send a separate midi channel for each would be awesome.

I frequently have to switch between a B3 sound and a Clavinet, or a Rhodes, etc.... Being able to do both at once would be the bomb.