MIDI Export

SimonMarkDawson

MIDI Export

Post by SimonMarkDawson »

Hi Jesse

For those of us with 64bit PC systems & running Cakewalk SONAR 64bit in particular (For which MIDI YOKE doesn't work) is it possible to add the facility to export the MIDI files for each track along with the audio wav files?

These could then simply be imported directly into SONAR without the need for an OSC - MIDI bridge.

Great app, many thanks!

Simon

Turner

+1 for MIDI Export.. not sure

Post by Turner »

+1 for MIDI Export.. not sure about all that Cakewalk/SONAR/64bit crazy talk above :) but if I could bring it into GarageBand I'd be set..

Jesse

Yep, it is being developed

Post by Jesse »

Yep, it is being developed right now! The question for you guys is: would you be OK if it was a single type 1 MIDI file with the note events per track for each loop? The time extent of the file would only be as long as the longest loop, no replication would occur (unless you want that too).

caseyjamesbasichis

type 1 is preferred here.

Post by caseyjamesbasichis »

type 1 is preferred here. That should make downloading lots of loops much easier.

jj_1080

I'd like to see MIDI import.

Post by jj_1080 »

I'd like to see MIDI import. No other app has the realistic sounds that TJ has. Sometimes I come up with a complex chord progression or melody in another app that I'm able to make because that app has quantizing, sequencing, etc. But sometimes I wish instead of a synth, it was a piano or a string section. I'd like to export a MIDI file from that app and import it to TJ where I can now give it a realistic sound.

Jesse

I've actually been

Post by Jesse »

I've actually been implementing import in parallel with export, so the answer is yes ;)

There will likely be little to no editing capability in the first version, however.

dswo

That's great news, Jesse. I

Post by dswo »

That's great news, Jesse. I have the same experience as jj_1080: except for ThumbJam, there really is nothing else for iOS that sounds like strings. (The closest I've found is Yumi (bow) Synth, from the maker of Jasuto.)

Jesse

There are some choices I have

Post by Jesse »

There are some choices I have to make in order to keep it simple. For those of you who would use MIDI import, I could use some feedback.

My initial thought is to provide a mechanism where you can render a (selected) midi track using the currently selected instrument into a loop, which you could then play/export/copy/etc as an audio file. It could also just preview it live using the current instrument without rendering to file. For now I'd like to keep it 1-track at a time for simplicity (vs loading a bunch of instruments and playing back the whole sequence live, although this is possible for the future). Please let me know if you have detailed thoughts about what you really want, so I can keep them in mind.

jj_1080

"I've actually been

Post by jj_1080 »

"I've actually been implementing import in parallel with export, so the answer is yes ;)"

Awesome! And as far as the editing capability, it really hadn't crossed my mind as I wasn't sure how it would work. I'm good as long as the velocities and everything are straight. I really just wanted to be able to render it as an audio file. Your initial thoughts are fine with me. I do wanna let you know, and it was probably brought up already, that Sonoma are working on an copy/paste format for MIDI. If I think of anything else, I'll give my thoughts. Thanks, Jesse!

dswo

Jesse, what you describe here

Post by dswo »

Jesse, what you describe here would be very useful (and workable).