Ideas from MorphWiz

paco

Ideas from MorphWiz

Post by paco »

Looking at the recently released MorphWiz, I think thumbjam could use some of its features in the next release. For instance:

1. Ability to do finger-vibrato by shaking the finger on the note. Better than shaking the whole iPad, if that's what you're using.

2. Morph one patch into another along the x axis. Could be very cool.

3. Put distortion/fm synthesis/reberb/whatever else, as a variable on the x axis

4. Some of the recording/looping abilities of MorphWiz

Thumbjamb uses real samples, so it can sound so much better than MorphWiz. I don't care about the trippy graphics. Keep them the way they look.

You can do it!

Jesse

Agreed about #1, already have

Post by Jesse »

Agreed about #1, already have plans to borrow that one.

#2 might be pretty cool, would have to try it out. Since I was planning on putting in split screen for two different instruments, this seems like a natural extension.

#3 - first new FX to control from that axis will probably be a low-pass filter (resonant or not). good distortion is pretty subjective, I'll probably leave that out for a while.

#4 - Looks like their looping is pretty simplified... just a single loop of fixed length that can be overdubbed on top of. TJs looping is functionally much more capable and only a bit more complicated to actually use. What aspect would you suggest I borrow? The reverse feature?

Jesse

Actually that is what picking

Post by Jesse »

Actually that is what picking volume on the x-axis is, except that in TJ it is loudest in the middle and quietest on the edges. It should probably be an option to use the full width.

caseyjamesbasichis

I feel a bit silly but I just

Post by caseyjamesbasichis »

I feel a bit silly but I just discovered what is meant by x-axis... I though it was referring to another measure of tilt and not the x-axis across the screen. math.

I am able to get it to have a strong effect by lowering the Min all the way down to -40 in the Control tab.

It doesn't work in a way that would be useful for percussion/oneshot sounds. In this case the axis needs to be relative to each individual pad in the grid... For this the y-axis might be preferable to the x as the grid squares are taller than they are wide.

It would be really great to be able to enable both V.tilt for long line dynamics and y-axis for note to note dynamics. I imagine the two could concatenate without much extra processing.