Tempo synchro sample looping

mat

Tempo synchro sample looping

Post by mat »

Jesse,

maybe it's already feasible inside the app(as usual), but if it's not, it would be cool to be able to synch sample loop with tempo. What made me think about that are the wonderful string instruments (cello, violin et al.) in Thumbjam: the loop is currently working as if the bow movement started again (which is nice and natural) but at a fixed time value, it would be nice to have this time value as a multiple of the tempo so the "bow restart" would be on time and not out of tempo most of the time as it currently is.

Hope I was clear and that it makes sense, as usual...

Jesse

One way that could be done,

Post by Jesse »

One way that could be done, would be to timestretch the sample (change duration without changing pitch), which would not only be a lot more CPU, it would compromise the integrity of the sound. I suppose the samples like that (strings only?) could be split in half and triggered at the right time. But to be honest, I have a lot more fish to fry before anything like that happens!

mat

Thanks for your answer. Yes,

Post by mat »

Thanks for your answer. Yes, timestretching makes no sense.

Strings only, probably not but that's a category of instruments fo which our ear is used to have "sample start" / the bow movement at a point making sense musically.

I supposed it could be something like a sample release (duration of this release being the same or different as the release time when you just stop touching the note) at a multiple of the tempo (user selected division or multiple of a bar for example) followed by the immediate restart of the sample... Maybe that's just me oversimplifying...

I know you are busy these days, I just dropped it on the forum in order not to forget it, thanks again for taking some time to answer.