monochord scale

aroth711

monochord scale

Post by aroth711 »

I would like to create a "monochord" (stringed instrument rich in overtones where all strings are tuned to the same note used for background, overtone-singing and meditative purposes). So the first thing I have to do is create a scale with, say 36, Notes which are all tuned to the same pitch the (for example D4); by playing this "scale" (sweeping freely across it)with an appropriate sample I hope to create a monochord-like effect. Key question: How do I have to construct the scl-file?

Armin

Jesse

Actually, due to the way

Post by Jesse »

Actually, due to the way pitched instruments are set up it will only ever pick one sample if they are all tagged with the same base note. However, you can create a non-pitched instrument (like percussion is) and then it will just play the samples as-is, automatically arranging them in a grid. If your sample is a sustained one you can set the Stop on Release to off in the Sample page for the instrument and then it will act as you describe when you drag your finger around.

aroth711

Jesse, thanks for your quick

Post by aroth711 »

Jesse, thanks for your quick reply and thanks a lot for this incredible app which gives me so much joy!! By trial and error I realized what you described and finally found a workaround which results pretty much in what I was thinking of: I created a scale of 21 Notes in which the intervals in the .scl-file are 0, 1200,0,1200 and so on, so I got the base note and the octave and I can play it just as I wanted, it works quite well with the tanpura sample or the hammered dulcimer, even wit a few others of the built-in samples. Anyway, your suggestion sounds very interesting as well and I will give it a try!