Indian Scales

Jesse

OK, I've converted those

Post by Jesse »

OK, I've converted those scales into the SXML format for you to try out. I split it up into the linear sym, linear asym, and nonlinear. The latter two "sort of" work, no matter how much octave span you set it only actually plays one "octave's" worth, however the root octave can be changed. I've never tried to make scales with non-ascending intervals, good to know it just works :)

The note names are totally screwed up, as you mentioned... I will obviously look into that.

Upload them using the wifi transfer web interface, in the Scales section. You can't remove individual scales put in this way... I think it removes the whole file if you try (bug).ImageImageImage

garyinthailand

Well bless my soul. It does

Post by garyinthailand »

Well bless my soul. It does work. Sort of.

The directional scales will be a lot more sensible for use with split screen.

Hope you can fix the note names soon. Checking these by ear...

Meanwhile, here's a revision of the Carnatic list. I feel sure it won't be the last. And we have a whole other list coming for Hindustani. That will take a little while, as I've had to order a reference work (The Raga Guide from Nimbus) from overseas.Image

garyinthailand

Playing with some of the

Post by garyinthailand »

Playing with some of the scales, I think you might be interpreting G2 as natural 3. It should be flat 3. Sorry if I made any error in the key I gave you. Here's the correct one.

S = Root
R1/R2/R3 = b2/2/#2
G1/G2/G3 = bb3/b3/3
M1/M2 = 4/#4
P = p5
D1/D2 = b6/6
N1/N2/N3 = bb7/b7/7

Hope that's clear.

garyinthailand

Playing with some of the

Post by garyinthailand »

Playing with some of the scales, I think you might be interpreting G2 as natural 3. It should be flat 3. Sorry if I made any error in the key I gave you. Here's the correct one.

S = Root
R1/R2/R3 = b2/2/#2
G1/G2/G3 = bb3/b3/3
M1/M2 = 4/#4
P = p5
D1/D2 = b6/6
N1/N2/N3 = bb7/b7/7

Hope that's clear.

Jesse

You're right, that was a typo

Post by Jesse »

You're right, that was a typo on my part. Attached are the corrected ones. Note that these are still based on your original list not the updated .doc file you attached today.

I think if you try to delete a few from the web page, then kill the app and come back, they will be gone and you can upload the news ones.

Fixes to the note names require a software update which isn't coming for a little while due to other in-progress work. I have a suspicion that if we did these in equal temperament the names would be correct.ImageImageImage

garyinthailand

Thanks. Can we try an equal

Post by garyinthailand »

Thanks.

Can we try an equal temperament version?

Jesse

Sure, I also just made one

Post by Jesse »

Sure, I also just made one big file from your recent updated doc, one in just, another in equal. Equal did fix the note name issue.
I did find a few other issues:

Saramati had an unspecified "M" in it... which one should it be? I used M1.
Kanadaa had an unspecified "D" in it. I used D2.
Sri Ragam had an "M" , i used M1.

Please correct with the proper value.

Let's stabilize on a format if we could. I don't mind your tab separated columns, the way they are, as long as you are consistent with them. Keep the initial number tab separated from the scale name, and keep a tab between the asc and desc groupings as you have. I also prefer plain text files instead of word docs, as that is what i have to convert them to for the conversion anyway.ImageImage

garyinthailand

Dude, you're fast Saramati is

Post by garyinthailand »

Dude, you're fast

Saramati is M1
Kanadaa is D2, as you surmised. However, the spelling actually should be 'Kanada'
Sri Ragam is M1 as well.

No problem to standardize on text files. A pain to keep the lists formatted on a page anyway.

However, I'd like to work with two files (per temperament), one for the 'normal' scales and one for 'bent'. The former work well, and I don't mind giving them to some folks to play with. The latter are just a bit too wierd to use until we get something happening in a split screen.

It's sweet seeing the scales with correct note names. I'm going to start the research on what would be 'correct' intonation. I'm not even sure the Indians care.

Here are 2 revised files in .txt format. I tried to scrub out extra tabs, etc. Let me know if you find any anomaliesImageImage

garyinthailand

It turns out that the scales

Post by garyinthailand »

It turns out that the scales I load are volatile. They all disappear when I quit the app.

Anything I can do about that?

Jesse

I see the same thing,

Post by Jesse »

I see the same thing, unfortunately. I will look into it. Do you run on iOS4? Running in the background will at least you go longer between re-uploads.