Chord Generation Feature? (i.e. like an autoharp)

Hwphoto

Chord Generation Feature? (i.e. like an autoharp)

Post by Hwphoto »

Thumbjam is excellent at generating scales. However, it seems to have a bit more difficult when it comes to actually playing chord progressions (such as would normally be used an accompaniment to support a melody). Yes, one can produce specific chords using the chorded scales- by keeping the "Change Scales" tab open to the list of "chord" scales during a performance (and then tapping the desired "chord" scale each time you wish to change to a different chord) but there seems to be both a latency problem (and a problem in easily identifying the desired chords that one might wish to use when trying to produce even a standard chord progression). This makes playing specific chord progressions during performance (or recording) nearly impossible to accomplish.

I would love to see a "Chord Progression" function within Thumbjam that would operate similarly to the way an Autoharp functions. I suspect the interface and operation would be similar to the current "#b" tab (which allows one to play the currently chosen scale in any specific key, from C-to-B. And this feature (the current "#b" feature) in Thumbjam operates virtually instantaneously within the program, so that scales can be rapidly changed (to different keys) during a performance. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do the very same kinds of quick changes, only using different "chords" rather than being limited to using the same scale, only based upon a different root note? (Here's a simple example: Cmaj, Fmaj, Cmaj, G7, Cmaj, Amin, Dmin7, Fdim, C, Caug, G7, C., etc.) The key here is that there would need to be a number of different chord buttons (similar to the "#b" key button function) which would cause Thumbjam to play only notes that are contained within the specific chord that is currently active (tapped). And, there would of course need to be enough available chord buttons to cover a number of possible chord progressions. (i.e.- Major, minor, augmented, diminished, Maj/min 6ths, 7ths, etc.). By having this type of Autoharp type function, Thumbjam could be for more utilized as not only as a "solo" tool, but also as a strong "accompaniment" tool.

Jesse

Yes, I've been planning to

Post by Jesse »

Yes, I've been planning to add a feature very much like what you describe. It will probably be a set of buttons that you can store any key/scale combo to by pressing and holding, or switching to by a single press. You'll be able to store and load a given set of them, independently of other presets as well.

soundog

+1 Would be a very useful

Post by soundog »

+1

Would be a very useful feature for me (composition/songwriting).