Two presets using same sample set: does this use 2x memory?

ckbarlow

Two presets using same sample set: does this use 2x memory?

Post by ckbarlow »

If I have two presets that use the same sample set, and they're loaded simultaneously (in a split) does that consume 2x the memory, or do they reference the same?

Asking because if this configuration consumes 2x memory, I'll save as a variant and remove samples I'm not typically triggering in one of them.

Thanks!
CK Barlow
iPad Mini 32GB [Model PD532LL/A]
Version 8.3 (12F69)

Jesse

Re: Two presets using same sample set: does this use 2x memo

Post by Jesse »

No, if the splits are using only a single instrument slot there is no increase in memory usage. Only loading additional instruments into the 8 available slots will increase that usage.

ckbarlow

Post by ckbarlow »

OK, if I interpret that correctly, then I am using 2x.

They are two different presets, different treatments of the same sample set (for example one is a simple stable drone whereas the other has Shake-vibrato, different effects settings, etc.). Maybe the attached screenshot explains better if I'm not using the TJ terminology clearly.

So best practice for me here would be to give each sound/preset a purpose-built, subset version of the larger sample set, paring each down to only the samples it definitely needs (I'm building the instrument and figuring out the piece/performance in parallel, which is why that's in flux).

Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (131.41 KiB) Viewed 7292 times
CK Barlow
Version 8.3 (12F69)

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Nope, that is 3x. Loading something into a slot will use memory, no matter if they are the same instrument as another slot. If you need to have anything different in the preset you have to use a separate slot for it, as you have. But really, only pare down if you are having legitimate memory issues with your entire workflow on the device.

ckbarlow

Post by ckbarlow »

(Only the upper and lower sounds share a sample set, not the middle one -- sorry if that was unclear.)

Just after posting that reply I checked the sizes and ultimately they're trivial. I'll leave it as is. Thanks!
CK Barlow
Version 8.3 (12F69)