Trumpet Scale and Transposing?

bflat

Trumpet Scale and Transposing?

Post by bflat »

Hello,

If I select Trumpet as my default Thumbjam instrument, then choose a scale to play, is that scale automatically transposed to the modern Bb Trumpet, whose music is generally written 1 whole step higher than concert pitch? For example, if I play a written C on the Trumpet is Thumbjam actually sounding concert Bb? If not how can I make that occur? It would save some of us the effort of having to mentally transpose as we play.

Thanks!!

Bflat

GREAT APP BY THE WAY!

Jesse

No, there is no transpose

Post by Jesse »

No, there is no transpose feature for the labeling of the notes, sorry! Eventually, I'll actually have those labels appropriately reflect the key and scale (flats vs sharps, etc), maybe at that time I'll add a label transpose option as well.

bflat

The following may be a crude

Post by bflat »

The following may be a crude albeit practical workaround to the matter of playing in a group setting with transposing instruments. Create a split screen in Thumbjam, select the concert scale for the instrument on one screen, and then the transposed scale on the other. This will give you a quick reference while performing, particularly in a live environment. Then again, since all of the instruments sampled in Thumbjam are identically pitched is this really a concern?

Jesse, am I on the right track here?

Thumbjam is one of those rare Apps that arrive on the scene and may be destined to become a game changer on how performers, (novice and professional) create music via the electronic medium. Continue improving it Jesse, the potential of this App as a performing tool is unlimited!

Thanks,

Bflat