Paste samples for new instruments?

dswo

Paste samples for new instruments?

Post by dswo »

I'd like to make some instruments based on the Korg iMS-20.

My plan is:

a) Record a WAV in iMS-20 with several notes.

b) Chop that WAV up with Beatmaker 2.

c) Import the chops into ThumbJam.

QUESTIONS

1. Is there a way to import the chopped samples into TJ using the pasteboard?

2. What is a good sample length? I'm going to have the filter resonance build up, so I don't think I'll be able to loop. (The beginning of the sound is going to be very different from the end.)

3. How many samples should I start with, and where do you recommend placing them on the scale?

Jesse

1. Yes, when you are ready to

Post by Jesse »

1. Yes, when you are ready to paste just go to Prefs->Copy/Paste then select the paste as Sample choice bar, then press the Pasteboard button on the left. It will now show up in the sample list when you are importing samples in the new instrument.

2. Length for a non looped sample is up to you and how you think you'll be playing it. Eg how long do expect to ever want to hold it.

3. It depends on the sound, with synthy ones you can get away with fewer, I'd say no less than 2 notes per octave (C and F# for instance) throughout the whole range you want to play. If you want you can do 3 notes per octave (C, E, G#) that will sound good too.

Jesse

So, in the Create Instrument

Post by Jesse »

So, in the Create Instrument screen where you import the samples, they will show up in the list. Select one and it goes to a sample editing page, where you can set various properties including the base note that sample represents. Pick the note and octave (and fine tuning) near the bottom of that page. Do the same for each sample. As you make changes you should be able to test it right away in the play area on the right side of the screen.