(New) Acoustic Guitar

ElectricAlienCat

(New) Acoustic Guitar

Post by ElectricAlienCat »

I've recorded all the notes up to 12th fret on my acoustic guitar via a decent Microphone (Rhode M3) near picking hand and it sounds better than the Acoustic Guitar samples supplied with ThumbJam, however the problem is when I create as an instrument and play any scale, some of the notes play out of octave sequence. I'd happily share the samples If I can fix this problem.

I recorded notes on the guitar for every string up to 12th fret, however for ThumbJam I'm only using every 2nd note so for (1st/6th string) it would be named E1, FS1, GS1, AS1, C1, D1. I used the same system used for the rest of the strings starting with open string as first note.

When I play a chromatic scale it sounds good from E1 to G#2 but A2 to B2 is much lower sounding, basically the highs and lows of the octaves are all over the place, how do I rectify?

On a side note, has anyone tried combining ThumbJam with GuitarRig/Amplitube/Podfarm, I got some very interesting results from this, especially JR Smooth Steel/Zendrix samples, check it out!

Jesse

The numbers refer to the

Post by Jesse »

The numbers refer to the octave# in terms of standard convention, and each octave in that scheme starts with C.... so C1 D1 E1... B1 C2 D2, etc. They correspond to specific absolute pitches as well, for instance the low E on a guitar is actually E2. So in your example, E2, FS2, GS2, AS2, C3, D3, etc is what you want.

I would love to hear your samples!

ElectricAlienCat

Currently I've named every

Currently I've named every note with this system.. "1S3F_G.wav" = 1st string 3rd Fret G, if I were to put octaves #'s on the end (1S3F_G7?) to work in ThumbJam, can you list me all the notes you would use with this same naming convention + the octave on the end, this would help immensely.

Once I get this worked out I can sample my electric guitar & bass too.

Jesse

Well, the low E is E2, so

Post by Jesse »

Well, the low E is E2, so your 1S3F_G would be 1S3F_G2 and you go up from there... the only thing to remember is that it wraps to the next octave number at C. If you post your list of files, I can generate the right names for you, but it really is pretty easy if you just start from the bottom and increment the octave number every time you pass a C.

ElectricAlienCat

Seems I've exceeded my upload

Seems I've exceeded my upload quota on here today, will post the samples tomorrow... cheers.

Jesse

OK, I've upped the limits,

Post by Jesse »

OK, I've upped the limits, try it again if your zip file is less than 7 MB. If it is larger, let me know and I will contact you off-forum to get it on here.

ElectricAlienCat

The zipped mp3 (320kbps)

The zipped mp3 (320kbps) files, split over 3 files under 6mb each, total 15mb.

ElectricAlienCat

I'm still not 100% on the

I'm still not 100% on the octave numbering, I searched all over the web and couldn't find a numbered chart.

If you could fill in the blanks with the octave numbering after the note on this guitar chart that would clear it up for me.

1st |(E)| F | F# | G | G# | A | A# | B | C | C# | D | D# | E |
2nd |(B)| C | C# | D | D# | E | F | F#| G | G# | A | A# | B |
3rd |(G)| G# | A | A# | B | C | C# | D | D# | E | F | F# | G |
4th |(D)| D# | E | F | F# | G | G# | A | A# | B | C | C# | D |
5th |(A)| A# | B | C | C# | D | D# | E | F | F# | G | G# | A |
6th |(E)| F | F# | G | G# | A | A# | B | C | C# | D | D# | E |

Jesse

Below are the octave numbers

Post by Jesse »

Below are the octave numbers for those notes on those strings. Be aware that putting in multiple samples with the same pitch will not do anything useful in TJ. It chooses the nearest sample to the note being played, and if you have two samples with the same note it is currently unspecified which it will pick. But it might be a nice feature to randomly pick (or cycle through) which one is chosen.

1st |(E)| F | F# | G | G# | A | A# | B | C | C# | D | D# | E |
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5

2nd |(B)| C | C# | D | D# | E | F | F#| G | G# | A | A# | B |
3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

3rd |(G)| G# | A | A# | B | C | C# | D | D# | E | F | F# | G |
3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

4th |(D)| D# | E | F | F# | G | G# | A | A# | B | C | C# | D |
3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4

5th |(A)| A# | B | C | C# | D | D# | E | F | F# | G | G# | A |
2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

6th |(E)| F | F# | G | G# | A | A# | B | C | C# | D | D# | E |
2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3