Thumbjam as midi controller

samp

Thumbjam as midi controller

Post by samp »

First off - best app period...Thank you!

I just wanted to know if there was a way to use the split instruments screen to control two different devices at the same time in Propellerheads Reason. Is that possible to have the split screen transmit two different midi channels at the same time. For instance in thumbjam i want the first instrument slot to play midi channel 1 , and then the second instrument slot to play on midi channel two.

Thanks in advance!

Jesse

In order to get the split to

Post by Jesse »

In order to get the split to send to the different MIDI channels, you need to actually use the second instrument on the split. The button with the number (1,2, 1|2) press it until you get the 1|2 after you enable the split screen. You can pick different instruments on each side in TJ (or the same!), and then they will send on different MIDI channels. You can also use the separate instruments without the split by toggling between 1 and 2.

Jesse

I just tried it myself, seems

Post by Jesse »

I just tried it myself, seems to work properly using wireless midi. Here is my setup:

Prefs->MIDI Control:
Use CoreMidi = ON
Enable Network Session = ON
Send Pitchbend = ON
Channel Start = 1
Channel per touch = OFF

That last one is probably the issue, with this ON the split doesn't put them on different channel blocks, which is a bug. But it sounds like you want channel per touch off anyway for this.

Oh wait, did you say Ableton? I've seen that turn ALL external MIDI input into channel 1, for some godawful reason. Run MIDI Monitor http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/ and I think you'll discover that TJ is good, but Ableton is BAD! Not sure how to get around that, there might be an option somewhere in Live.