TJ as a midi controller over WIFI

audiosophy

TJ as a midi controller over WIFI

Post by audiosophy »

First of all, well done Jesse on what looks like a fantastic update for TJ, I'm seriously excited about the new features. I just can't seem to get the midi sending over WIFI right now.

I have created a new network on my mac book pro, then the iphone has joined the network, I have enabled 'core midi' and network session. I am trying to receive midi messages on Ableton Live 8, but there is no activity, Ableton is listening to all channels.

Could you possibly let me know how to do this? I'm dying to edit my loops on the midi editor.

Thanks !

mat

Hi, Jesse explained how to do

Post by mat »

Hi,

Jesse explained how to do that in an answer to the post "How to create/export midi file" just below yours.

Cheers

audiosophy

Hi Mat, Actually that was

Post by audiosophy »

Hi Mat,

Actually that was just directions for how to export the loopset as a midi file. That I know how to do. I am trying to control software synths in Ableton, in realtime, using Thumbjam as a midi controller. I don't at the moment have one of those midi usb interfaces, so I'm trying to get it working with the wifi.

If anyone has done this on a mac (or even not on a mac), any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mat

audiosophy, sorry I

Post by mat »

audiosophy,

sorry I misunderstood your question (and didn't see your answer to my post until today). I'm using TJ to control virtual instruments but on a PC: I'm using either DSMidiWifi or RTPmidi and both work great. Yes, as Leonw said above, an ad hoc network is what works best, latency is really not killing (not the same when you route midi through your general internet access...). I'm not sure I can help as the MAC side of things is unknown to me but I can testify it works (I heard that the midi layer on the mac linked it automatically... not sure though). Well, sorry again and thanks to Leonw for giving better directions... Good luck and have fun, I love using TJ this way and the new features in 2.0 make it even better (quick change scale buttons especially...).

Cheers

Jesse

Have you tried using the mac

Post by Jesse »

Have you tried using the mac app MIDI Monitor, to see if you are receiving anything from TJ? http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

The relevant settings in TJ, Prefs->MIDI Control: Use CoreMidi=ON, Enable Network Session=ON, MIDI Output Connections, Network Session=ON.

audiosophy

Yup got it working now, not

Post by audiosophy »

Yup got it working now, not to worry Mat. I just turned on the audio midi setup as Leon specified. Although I now seem to be having the trouble that TJ is not sending note off messages, so every little riff turns into a huge extended chord. any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Jesse

There are some bugs that

Post by Jesse »

There are some bugs that could cause that with certain settings. Start out with the factory Electric Guitar preset and go from there. Out of curiosity what preset did you have loaded (and what settings in Sample and Control if custom) when you experience the dropped note offs?

Or there really could be a network packet loss problem with your wifi setup. What are your other midi settings (send pitchbend, etc)?

audiosophy

Actually, its fine now on the

Post by audiosophy »

Actually, its fine now on the marimba setting, I was trying it on the harp before - this made a difference. all the settings were default.

cheers

Jesse

Yep, that was one of the

Post by Jesse »

Yep, that was one of the bugs, on instruments where the samples keep playing when you release, no noteoffs were being sent.

meowsqueak

Just as an aside, I've

Post by meowsqueak »

Just as an aside, I've managed to get TJ talking to Propellerhead Reason via CoreMIDI and via OSC, both seem to perform very similarly, with a small but acceptable latency when over an ad-hoc WiFi network.

However with both methods some notes are delayed longer than normal and perhaps overwritten by subsequent notes - they either don't sound, or sound quite late. Cam has more info on this here.

ThumbJam is a fun way to drive Reason - and it would be perfect if it weren't for the occasional lost note :)