newbie question: why the red recording bar?

rocketlaura

newbie question: why the red recording bar?

Post by rocketlaura »

I just bought Thumbjam and am enjoying it very much. But recording and transferring files is just beyond me, it seems. I recorded a session and a few loops, and now whenever I quit the app my iPad menubar flashes red with a sign that says "Thumbjam (recording)" -- even though I thought I had stopped it recording. I've killed the app (from the taskbar) and when I start it back up the same thing happens. I've tried turning the Wifi server off or on, and it has no effect.

So, dumb question: is it still recording something? Is there some button I'm not pushing? (I've checked and the Session Record option in the Loop panel is off.)

Thanks in advance!

mat

Hope I can help, though I use

Post by mat »

Hope I can help, though I use it on an iPod... When you leave ThumbJam the red bar is always there as it still runs in the background, I don't have the 'recording' mentioned but I don't think it still records in the background. To turn the app really off you always have to use the bottom bar anyway. What is your problem as regard to transferring?

Jesse

Have you updated to the

Post by Jesse »

Have you updated to the latest version 1.3.1? That release fixed an important bug that cause the red bar to come up when it wasn't supposed to.

mat

By the way, I was wrong: if I

Post by mat »

By the way, I was wrong: if I press the home button during recording, ThumbJam will still be recording, just recording nothing. When returning to the app, the recording goes on until stopped the regular way.

Jesse

Yes, it looks like I need to

Post by Jesse »

Yes, it looks like I need to ensure that any recording is stopped when the app is backgrounded.

However, if the original poster has a loop playing back the red bar will stay on while TJ is in the background because it currently always runs in the "record and playback" audio session even when it ignores the input. You disable the playback of loops in the background from the Prefs->Options page.

As part of the next version when I fix the Bluetooth output, I will likely find a way to reduce the chances of backgrounding showing the red bar also.

rocketlaura

Sorry, I didn't notice I had

Post by rocketlaura »

Sorry, I didn't notice I had replies! thanks again!

The red menu after I quit now only appears for a few seconds, so whatever it was doesn't seem to be a problem. It seems like just a quick afterthought from the app as it's quitting. (And it does that even though I'm not recording or playing anything when I quit.) Maybe my latest ipad OS upgrade changed things, I don't know.

Weird thing about transferring files from my iPad ... I simply cannot get the wifi transfer to work on my main computer (the one I sync my iPad with) -- the computer will not connect to the IP address, just tries and tries and eventually times out. But it works like a charm between my iPad and my laptop -- even though both computers have the same OS, and are as similar in configuration as I can make them. So as far as I'm concerned, it's not a problem -- as long as I have one computer that works, I'm happily recording and transferring music. It just seems weird.

Did I mention ... this is the best music app ever? It doesn't need a keyboard/piano interface, it doesn't need a builtin sequencer, or lots of extra bells and whistles. It's a brilliant musical instrument all on its own.