Thumb Jam on Ipod Touch...

boxturtle

Thumb Jam on Ipod Touch...

Post by boxturtle »

...to a standalone DAW.
Any pointers for the best way to do this in terms of sonic fidelity?
What I'm thinking is: 1/8 stereo jack plugged into ipod, the other end of the cord, which is also 1/8 stereo jack, plugged into 1/4 inch stereo adapter, then into a 1/4 inch channel input on the DAW. Make sense?

Also, I want to demonstrate my Jimi Hendrix thumbs and rocking hips for my elementary students by plugging the ipod into a guitar amp- I may possibly run my teeth down the front of the ipod window, watching as the students drop their jaws in a horror-like awe, perhaps me digging into a theramin pitch no 10 year old has ever heard, mixing it, bending it, TILTING it, to a sweaty, crescendo like pitch, until, possibly, as I slide across the floor on my Jack Black rock and roll knees up to a principal (who had quietly slipped into the room without anyone noticing) looks at me in a way that says either "you're toast" or "I have to know the name of that app! Now!" .

Any pointers on this (not the teeth performance, the cord hook up)? Same gig, or can I just use a 1/4 inch mono jack instead of the 1/4 inch stereo jack straight into my Fender amp.

Thanks for any input. I really want to work this end of it out as I can see myself using this great app mostly in this way.

Thank you.

Jesse

Yep, you should be able to

Post by Jesse »

Yep, you should be able to hook it up exactly as you described. If you want to capture stereo, just split the channels out (using 1/8 to stereo RCA or something) and go into two channels on the DAW. One tip if you stay mono, is to enable the Force Mono option in Prefs->Volume, so panning won't accidentally get you. You get close to line-level when you turn the volume all the way up on the device. For the amp, same deal, but you might want to lower the level so as to not overdrive the amp. Or overdrive it and get as wild as you want to get!

boxturtle

Thanks for the answer. Ok,

Post by boxturtle »

Thanks for the answer. Ok, got it!