Audio into DAW (Ableton)

d_posie

Audio into DAW (Ableton)

Post by d_posie »

Hi Guys,
I have sucessfully connected TJ to Ableton on a PC, via rtpMIDI.

I can record MIDI, but I cannot record (or monitor) the audio - any settings within TJ that I need to be mindful of?

Is it possible to record / monitor audio without a cable?

Thanks in advance !

Jesse

Re: Audio into DAW (Ableton)

Post by Jesse »

You will want to use a cable to record audio into your PC... there is no effective alternative... and also it is the most reliable. Quality should be fine... it mostly depends on your audio interface.

d_posie

Post by d_posie »

Thanks Jesse - My audio interface is fine (NI Komplete Audio 6). I guess I was just to be a tad audiophile (to improve on AUX cable sound) and techy (in search for wireless solutions) about it.

At least I know for sure now that it can't be done!
(I was looking into considering trialling something called Airfoil with a separate program called voicemeeter bannana to see if I can route wireless audio into virtual audio to ableton)

Oh - btw - because I am a newbee - is there anything special I need to do in order to play TJ with a MIDI device? I was wondering, because it is a wicked synth and I have a MIDI keyboard with an XY knob for automations (eg the AKAI MPK mini).

Do I need to do anything within the settings of TJ to enable this ?

And can I assign knobs on MIDI controllers to operate TJ ?

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

To play TJ from the MIDI, you will just need to enable the MIDI Input Connection that shows up for NOTE INPUT (probably called Network Session if you are doing it wirelessly).
Since you probably have that controller attached to your computer, you will need to figure out how to route it out through the rtpMIDI.... I don't have experience using that on PCs, so not sure what the best method for that is.

TJ has a fixed set of MIDI CCs that you can assign your knobs to use, see this section of the manual:
https://thumbjam.com/docs.php#midibindings
You will need to enable the Use Additional CCs option in the Prefs->MIDI Control to activate them.

Good luck!