Confused with basics

bjean

Confused with basics

Post by bjean »

I just bought a Tonewood Amp and have it connected to my acoustic guitar so I bought Thumbjam to add some midi. I have the cable connected to the toned amp and and my iPhone with cello selected. When I tap my iPhone screen I can hear the cello playing through the amp but nothing happens when I play the guitar. I looked though the user manual but was totally confused. Can't figure eon how to make it add the cello to the guitar notes.

Can anyone lend some help as to how to get the cello today through the tonewood? I know it can be done because there is a demo on their site and they say they used thumb jam with the cello.

Thanks for any help!!

Jesse

Re: Confused with basics

Post by Jesse »

So you want the audio from your guitar to trigger ThumbJam sounds, to do that you need to turn on the audio input tracking feature by first pressing the aux sidebar button (button below the #/b button on the side bar with the 3 little icons on it), then on the extra sidebar that pops up press the button with the notes and speaker icon. A panel will show up with some options for the audio tracking feature, the first is the snapping, choose between scale, chromatic, or no snap.

But one question, how exactly are you getting the guitar audio into your phone?

You may also need to update the option in the system settings app under Privacy->Microphone to enable ThumbJam for audio input.

bjean

Post by bjean »

Ugh! That was it. Feeling stupid here. It didn't have access to the mic.

I have an a acoustic guitar and just bought a tonewood amp. It's a little device that attaches magnetically to the back of the guitar. Use the guitars onboard electronics to run into the tonewood. It adds reverb and so forth. Also has a line out to connect to iDevice for midi. Their demo video say they used thumbjam. I since discovered Guitar MIDI on the iPhone is also needed which pipes a midi signal to thumbjam. Couldn't get it to work.

Then, based on your reply checked my iPhone settings and sure enough, neither Guitar Midi or Thumbjam had access to the mic. Fixed that and like magic I now have a cello playing in the background with me. Toooo cool!

Thanks!!!

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Great! Just to let you know that the features I mentioned in my post about the audio input tracking in ThumbJam also perform the same function as Guitar MIDI does (with some added features because it is built-in to TJ), but you may get better results with one than the other. There are also a few other pitch->midi apps, like Midimorphosis, Sonuus G2M, and others in case you wanted to try them too.