Some questions

Aewing

Some questions

Post by Aewing »

Hello, and first of all thank you for this beautiful app, the sounds are really great :)

I'm not a MIDI pro and I would like to ask you some questions about midi controllers :

- Is it possible to layer multiple instruments in order to play them together on my keyboard ? I noticed we could choose whichever instrument output we want to have on Audiobus but it doesn't seem to work for me (it was just a test, probably a stupid idea from me haha)

- Secondly, is there a way to "uniformize" the controls for all instruments? Because sometimes the modulation wheel is used for the Pan so I would keep it in the middle for example, and then when I change the instrument it is used for the volume so it's playing only half volume before I notice it. I can edit this instrument by instrument, but I was wondering if it was possible to do that for all at once. ^^

- Also, I was wondering about playing left hand chords on my controller and the melody on the pad directly with another instrument, so it would need splitted instruments, but when I do this and tap the second instrument to play it assigns the sound to the controller as well. Is there a way to avoid this ?

Thank you!

Jesse

Re: Some questions

Post by Jesse »

Good questions, all.

I'll answer the last question first, as it pertains to the first as well: in the Prefs->MIDI Control you want to set the MIDI Input channel to a number (1,2, etc) instead of Omni. Once you do that, the individual instrument slots can be controlled directly via separate MIDI channels starting from the one you specify. The active split on screen then won't affect the MIDI control of the separate instruments.

As for layering multiple instruments, your keyboard would need to send out multiple notes on separate midi channels simultaneously, which is pretty unheard of. You can route it through a MIDI app like Midiflow or MidiBridge to get it to replicate notes across channels. Clearly, I need to add support for layered instruments directly in the app, but have yet to do so.

And the second question about the controls is the most unfortunate... there is no real way to do any global binding changes. My choice to tie the mod wheel (CC1) to different things based on preset control settings was probably not a great idea in retrospect. Certain things like pan and volume are always available on the standard midi CCs (10 for pan, 7 or 11 for volume) so if you use those instead of CC1 things might work better for you until I rework the MIDI binding system.

Aewing

Re: Some questions

Post by Aewing »

Thanks a lot for your answers, I'm gonna check all of this! :)