iPod 4G: Sample downloads stall out.

leegrosbauer

iPod 4G: Sample downloads stall out.

Post by leegrosbauer »

Greetings! I've been having some issues downloading the default additional ThumbJam Samples on two separate iPod Touch 4G devices. In short, the downloads often stall out. I've managed however, over many repeated download attempts, to get most of the additional ThumbJam instruments downloaded and installed on both iPod 4Gs. That said, my concern at this juncture rests on my inability to download a single remaining instrument: The Harp. I can't download the Harp instrument, no matter how many times I try. Advice?

(oops. edited for typos.)

Jesse

Very strange. Check to see if

Post by Jesse »

Very strange. Check to see if it thinks it is already downloaded, by going to Edit -> Samples and pressing the Sample Sets button. Scroll down and see I'd there is a harp entry, if so swipe across the entry to remove it. Then try the download again.

When you try to download it does the progress bar update at all?

leegrosbauer

Harp doesn't appear in

Post by leegrosbauer »

Harp doesn't appear in Edit>Downloads>Sample Sets. The progress bar behavior is that the bar appears when the download is commanded, then the blue progress indicator appears as a dot at the left end of the progress bar ... and there it sits, seldom growing larger and never completing. On a couple of attempts the blue indicator grew to fill half of the progress bar very slowly before stalling out. Of interest perhaps, none of this laggy/stalling behavior was observed with any of the ThumbJam instrument downloads on our iPad. All the instruments downloaded very promptly and quickly on the iPad.

Update: I just retested the iPad download capability by deleting Harp and re-downloading: the iPad continues to download promptly. I also just reattempted the Harp on a single iPod Touch 4G: the download stalled after about 30 seconds of slow progress. I let it run for another ten minutes and got an error message that stated that there was an error connecting to server. A second error message then stated that the download timed out.

hmmmm. I'm now suspecting we should probably simply await the arrival of iOS 4.2, due next month. Sort of sounding like a problem that might be unique to iPod Touch 4Gs (current iOS generation, anyway), doesn't it?

leegrosbauer

Well, I found a way to make

Post by leegrosbauer »

Well, I found a way to make the downloads work, but it's a bit strange: I turned on FaceTime and opened a FaceTime call between both iPod Touches. Once I did that, the Harp downloaded promptly on both iPods. I'm going to guess there is a WiFi sensitivity issue with these iPod Touch 4Gs that activating FaceTime somehow over-rides. If anyone has another idea, I'd love to hear it. Anyway, this will suffice as a satisfactory work-around for my own immediate concerns. Thanks for your time and attention. ThumbJam is a truly wonderful app. Thank you so very much for such a lovely thing. Salut!

leegrosbauer

Thought I'd revisit this

Post by leegrosbauer »

Thought I'd revisit this topic to report that an Airport Extreme WiFi router firmware update just came through at our house and that update seems to have remedied the problem of sample downloads stalling out on our iPod Touches. Long story short: the issue appears to have been with the Airport Extreme router. Glad it's now fixed and thanks for such a great app!

deej

I was getting this with the

Post by deej »

I was getting this with the larger instruments and Loops.
Anything over 3MB or so would eventually stop with 2 errors. One was something about an URL and can't remember the other.
First time I've ever seen these on my phone. I just kept trying the bigger files and by the end of the night I had everything. It took 3-7 tries with each.
I don't think it was my router (linksys with DDWRT installed)

deej

The 2 messages I get when

Post by deej »

The 2 messages I get when downloading larger instruments are

Cannot connect
Error connecting to server! Could not download instrument.

URLCache
Error! A server with the specified hostname could not be found.(null)

This happens anywhere from 1/8 to 7/8 way thru the download according to the progress bar.