Loops recording with 2 bar offset

vincentlepes

Loops recording with 2 bar offset

Post by vincentlepes »

When I record a new 16 bar loop after an imported 2 bar drum beat, the recording starts two bars before the end of the loop and circles back around, causing a 2 bar offset. I tried just working with it in this way, but if I press the "back" button (to go to the start of each loop) and play again then my loops all overlap incorrectly. Here are the steps to reproduce:

Created 2 bar drum loop in NanoStudio
Mixdown NS loop to audiocopy, no rendered tail
ThumbJam > Prefs > Import/Export > Paste Loop (Load Pasted Loop checked)

So far so good, the loop begins playing and although the tempo is .2bpm different than what NS was set to, it still syncs just fine.
At this point I start by adding a 16 bar bass line.

Choose instrument/scale/key
Open recording sidebar
Press pause to stop playback of drums
Press Back (|<) to go to beginning of loop
Press record and first note at same time (since it starts without count-in when I start right at beginning)
Record 16 bar loop

At this point it sounds ok, but it's off by 2 bars. If I press pause and back again, to get to the beginning, it starts on the 3rd bar I recorded, plays through my recording with the first two bars I recorded at the end.

Now change instrument
Record 16 bar loop, playing in sync with first recording
same thing happens where 2 bar offset is present, the loops play together despite the offset so it's usable.
Press pause, press back to go to beginning, play again.
Loops are all now 2 bars offset from each other, overlapping incorrectly.

In case it helps, here are my loop settings:
Quantize Start: on
Factor of 2: off
4 beats/bar
Fixed loop length: on
16 Bars

I've tried leaving 2 bars of silence before I record, so that when I start on bar 3 it ends up at the beginning. I then go back and record the missing two bars at the end in another 16 bar loop. If I pause and press back and play again, they are again out of sync.

Jesse

Yep, I can easily reproduce

Post by Jesse »

Yep, I can easily reproduce this issue. The funny thing is that if you save it as a loop set, then load it back up (replace all), everything is aligned properly. Also, the resulting individual loop files are correctly aligned and start with the content you expect, and so is a Mixdown operation.

The only problem is how it behaves immediately after recording in the visual beat/bar loop displays and also how rewind to beginning does the wrong thing too. I will obviously look into fixing that right away.

But in the meantime you can work around it by actually never hitting stop or rewind, in combination with saving the loop set and reloading it if you ever do hit stop/rewind. Just hit record near the end of the first loop if you don't want to wait around too long for recording to start. Also note, that if you want the all the resulting individual loop files (if you plan on exporting the loop set) to line up you'll want to make sure to start the recording so that it will quantize the start where the beat playheads all hit the first one (assuming you never hit buggy rewind, which throws them off, then you have to go by audio content).

Sorry for the inconvenience of the bug, and thanks for the very clear description of the steps and symptoms, and all the settings (other bug reporters take note!).

vincentlepes

Thanks again, Jesse...you are

Post by vincentlepes »

Thanks again, Jesse...you are definitely the most responsive iPhone dev I've ever encountered. Great work!

I just finished putting together a video of my problem I recorded over lunch, but you already reproduced it, lol, so I don't know that it will help. If you wanna see a bad recording of a guy trying to play TJ sideways in his car (with lots of annotations as to my problem), check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apttd9xOnq8. I wasn't sure if my description was all that good at first so I thought it might help.

Also, great job on ThumbJam. The app sounds great and I'm always blown away by how much more and more you add each release!

Take care,
-Vinny

J.C

Hi everybody, I'd like to

Post by J.C »

Hi everybody,

I'd like to share my experience too because this bug is driving me crazy.

First of all: This bug just ALWAYS happen! No matter what are my "Loop recording" settings (on iPad2 and iPhone 3GS, I'll try tonight with my 4S, both on 5.01).

If the recorded loop is longer than 4 Bars then this loop won't start from the begining, but from the HALF of the loop. The exactly half.
If I close the Loopset and reopen it, the loop will play fine, the first time.... until I push stop or rewind, then it will start from the half.

I tried aaaaaaall the settings available but there is nothing to do.

I use ThumbJam at least 2 hours a day, I love it and it became a very important part of my Music production workflow but this bug is sooooooooooooo frustrating, please, I'm begging you to quickly do something.

Even if the next update is not so awesome like the last one, this bug and the Fatal Instruments Eraser bug needs to be fixed ASAP.

Keep the good work Jesse, you've got gold in your hands!!

Jesse

I've got it fixed here, I'm

Post by Jesse »

I've got it fixed here, I'm guessing another week before I push it out. So sorry to be the cause of so much simultaneous pain and joy!

J.C

Great news! Can't wait to see

Post by J.C »

Great news! Can't wait to see the TJ icon in the Update section!

J.C

Hi, Any idea when the update

Post by J.C »

Hi,
Any idea when the update is gonna be submitted to Apple?