Wifi Midi glitchiness

kreda

Wifi Midi glitchiness

Post by kreda »

I've been trying to find ways to control Logic instruments via MIDI in a way that equates with the level of control you get now on thumbjam, such as being able to use the new low pass filter via the x axis or via H tilt to create wah effects for example, however I have come up against a problem:

I am finding that with MIDI over wifi I am unable to send pan information or pitch bend information (for example) or any other MIDI controller information without sending a note on MIDI signal first - So I cannot capture subtleties & nuances in playing.

Can I do anything about this? Will using CoreMidi wired through the camera connection kit make it work?

Thanks

Khalil

Jesse

No, at present the only

Post by Jesse »

No, at present the only expression messages TJ sends without having to play a note first is shake vibrato (pitch bend), I believe. I'll probably ending up adding the more generic X/Y and accelerometer user-bindable events, but it isn't a priority because of how many generic MIDI control surface apps out there already. What TJ brings to the table is the scale stuff, so I didn't really focus on making it a generic midi expression controller.

I bet you could use some midi filters in logic to filter out the note events coming from TJ, if you really wanted to use it for this purpose.

kreda

Thanks for the quick answer

Post by kreda »

Thanks for the quick answer Jesse,

The problem is that I do want to use expressive controller messages from Thumbjam as well as the note information, but Thumbjam stops sending the MIDI expression message the second I take my finger off the note - So I couldn't use H-Tilt to do a low pass filter sweep on the "release" portion of a note - Obviously occurring after I have taken my finger off the touchscreen -

Really what I'm trying for is to make sounds on Logic as awesome and expressive as you've managed to make it so far as a stand-alone app on the Ipad.

Anyway keep up the good work and maybe in future! I look forward to it.